Have a vegetarian coming to stay next weekend...

(15 Posts)
wibblyjelly Sun 27-Oct-13 14:58:09

Could people be share some nice recipes for me, please?

Friday night - curry banquet
dhal
rice
mattar paneer
coconut chutney
minty salad - cucumber, red onion, tomatoes, coriander, mint sauce, lemon juice
chapatis
minty yoghurt

Saturday night - veggie tacos, guacamole, mango salsa, soured cream, cheese

Sunday lunch - big pan roasted vege, sprouts, savoy cabbage, big fat roasted mushrooms stuffed with cheese and garlic, gravy
Crumble and custard

Camwombat Sun 27-Oct-13 16:43:21

Delias vegetarian shepherds pie always a good one, and can be made in advance.

carameldecaflatte Sun 27-Oct-13 16:47:31

Yum, Remus' menu is making me feel hungry!

On a more lazy simple tack:

How about a hearty soup/stew for the cold weather?
I just made one and it's lovely (and easy!)
Basically whatever veg you have. I used;
1 onion
3 potatoes
3 carrots
2 parsnips
A bit of left over swede
1 carton/tin tomatoes
1 cup red lentils
About 1.5 litres stock (started off with 1litre and added a bit more water for a not so thick soup. Less for stew)
various hebs/spices (garlic,chilli sauce

Fry onion in a little oil until soft, chop veg and throw in, add toms, add stock add lentils, cook 1/2 hourish. Serve with crusty bread.

Or a veggie shepherds pie?
Brown lentils instead of meat (tinned are easier) and peas/carrots/corn/whatever with veg stock and tomatoes with a mix of mashed potato, sweet potato and cheese (if they eat it) on top.

bankerror Sun 27-Oct-13 16:55:07

Vegetarian lasagne
Stir fry with lots of yummy veg and cashew nuts or quorn chicken

If you want to do something fancy have a look at recipes by Ottolengi - they are all lovely.

KissesBreakingWave Sun 27-Oct-13 17:00:01

Make sure you hide their fruits and vegetables around the place, having to search for their food provides behavioural enrichment for them.

Or is that monkeys?

partyondude Sun 27-Oct-13 17:02:00

We do a lot of smorgasbordy stuff - nice bread, salad, nice cheese, humous, raw carrot, peppers, and ham for those who want it.

wibblyjelly Sun 27-Oct-13 17:42:26

Great ideas, thank you. Loving the curries idea, I can just shove them in the slow cooker all day (I have 2 so can make 2 different kinds) grin

Onykahonie Sun 27-Oct-13 20:28:11

As a veggie, I love the curry and the buffet ideas. A veggie chilli with rice, nachos, and guacamole would be good too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 27-Oct-13 21:56:54

kisses think that us monkeys but I'm surprised that veggies are visiting anyone at this time of year! I thought they were all stored in cardboard boxes in the garage. Or is that tortoises?

ravenAnyKucker Sun 27-Oct-13 22:12:13

As a veggie, I'd love the curries. & the tacos. Yum! Roasted veg lasagne is another easy one, as is a chilli made with vegetarian mince.

Don't faff around or stress yourself out trying to cook something weird & wonderful your family wouldn't normally have - unless of course you love cooking & actually fancy trying something new.

My mum - who to be fair is a rotten cook - occasionally used to dig out some veggie recipe to have a punt at when I was staying. It'd turn out badly, she'd be cross about it, I'd have to be polite, thereby shoring up her inner conviction that I normally live off burnt, soggy lentils anyway.

We've tacitly agreed that dh, dc & I will be eating a LOT of Quorn sausages when we stay with her these days grin.

KeatsiePie Algeria Sun 27-Oct-13 23:05:14

Late, but here are the three I made this weekend, all very good:

Nacho casserole - black beans, tomato, corn, cheese, tortillas - www.splendidtable.org/recipes/mexican-tortilla-casserole Instead of layering corn tortillas in the dish, we cut them into strips and toast them on a baking sheet in the oven to make curly tortilla chips, then mix them in. It really is like nachos in a dish.

Broccoli cauliflower soup - broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, mustard, cheese - www.101cookbooks.com/archives/broccoli-cheddar-soup-recipe.html I add cauliflower to this, and roast it, and I roast the broccoli, so the flavor is richer. It is fucking amazing. Using a good grainy mustard is crucial.

Triple-lentil stew - red and green and black lentils, celery - ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6011418 I had never really liked lentils until I had this, it's terrific, lovely for cold weather.

Lunaballoon Mon 28-Oct-13 06:46:26

I recommended this on another thread. If you prepare the squash ahead, it's quick, easy and bloody amazing!

wibblyjelly Mon 28-Oct-13 19:23:22

Ooo, more ideas, thank you grin

Veggie moussaka made with puy lentils, and a salad?

Lunches you could do various soups, or a big frittata?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now