Does anyone fancy a 'using all the weird stuff up during November so there is room in the cupboard for Xmas goodies ' challenge?

(52 Posts)
Parsnipcake Sun 27-Oct-13 08:18:21

My food cupboards are full to bursting. With things I bought on impulse - spices, weird grains, odd noodles etc. the fridge is full of last tablespoon jars and the freezer has loads of single portion UFO's.

My plan is to clear all this during November, and as a personal challenge I am going to cut my £1000 a month food budget to £100 and use the saved money for Christmas presents. We are a familyi of 2 adults, 5 older teens and a baby.

Does anyone want to join ( set your own rules , it's about clearing cupboards and meant to be helpful) or am I the only food hoarder?

Xiaoxiong Wed 30-Oct-13 09:44:08

devonsmummy and bitches - I do lentil soup that's quite similar to your recipe but sort of backwards:

- fry 2 medium onions, 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- add spices - I add 1tsp each ground coriander, cumin, chili powder and garam masala, and 1/2 tsp turmeric
- add 1 tin tomatoes, 4 tins of water/stock, 1 tin red lentils (ie. measure the water and the red lentils using the empty tomato tin)
- bring to the boil and simmer 45 minutes.
- stir in 1tsp salt, or to taste

The best part is then: in a little frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil - fry 1 tsp each mustard seeds and cumin seeds until they pop. Then when you serve the soup, put some toasted seeds and a little oil on top. I like putting fresh coriander on as well and serving with a dollop of yoghurt.

Also, if you're not vegetarian this is the best ever one-pot lentil soup/stew for the autumn and winter - I guarantee you will love it. I have never found sweet Italian sausage here so I use nice pork sausages with as much % pork as I can find (you only need 2 or 3) then add lots of fennel seeds, dried oregano, basil, thyme and paprika to the sausage meat as it browns.

smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/lentil-soup-with-sausage-chard-and-garlic/

moomoo1967 Thu 31-Oct-13 10:13:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now