I have lots of pears, what shall I do with them?

(31 Posts)
CuttedUpPear Thu 24-Oct-13 22:47:51

Any similarities with my name are purely coincidental. smile

EdinLS Fri 25-Oct-13 11:26:33

Crumble!!
Love a good pear crumble - much more of a treat than apple!

CuttedUpPear Fri 25-Oct-13 16:57:23

Mmm nice.

Anything else?

skylerwhite Fri 25-Oct-13 16:58:19

Chutney?

ancientbuchanan Fri 25-Oct-13 17:02:10

I've got the same issue. Going to do pears in ginger, baked for hours in low oven, then freeze. Delicious with use cream or cream.

DSJamesHathaway Fri 25-Oct-13 17:04:41

Bin them. Pears are vile <not in the spirit of the thread>

fancyanother Fri 25-Oct-13 17:06:15

I have loads of pears and made pear butter which is really easy and you dont have to do loads of chopping and peeling.

Lamu Fri 25-Oct-13 17:06:20

Cinnamon Poached pears with vanilla custard is delicious. Or pear and almond tart?

Allalonenow Belgium Fri 25-Oct-13 17:14:03

Peel but leave whole, a bit of stalk looks nice but not essential, then bake them in the oven in red wine, brown sugar and your favourite spices. If possible use a deep narrow container so the pears are completely covered in the wine syrup and take up the wine colour all over.
When the syrup is cold you can freeze it and use it again.

CuttedUpPear Fri 25-Oct-13 20:56:08

Pear butter sounds interesting.
I was definitely going to do the poached in red wine thing - it's a no brainer - but thanks for the recipe.

Pear and almond tart, mmm.

I'm thinking of getting fresh ginger and putting loads through the juicer, that could freeze, I reckon?

doineedhelp Sat 26-Oct-13 19:02:54

Tarte tatin? Yum!

1919 Sat 26-Oct-13 19:04:44

Pickle them?

Artesia Sun 27-Oct-13 10:19:08

Pear and chocolate cake-is properly yum, especially served warm with lots of cream

CuntyBunty Sun 27-Oct-13 10:22:02

I like to eat them as they are with Brie.

Nigella does a chocolate sponge and pear pudding, I believe.

Pear and stilton/brie salad with walnuts and walnut oil.

LadyBigtoes Sun 27-Oct-13 10:23:25

I recently made this. it was amazing!

CuttedUpPear Sun 27-Oct-13 13:13:42

As they are with brie will definitely be on my list. And the pear and stilton salad. Yum.

But since I've about a hundred and fifty of them and they will likely all ripen at once, I reckon a few pear tarts in the freezer will keep us puddinged-up this winter.

Thank for your lovely suggestions. thanks

Trills Sun 27-Oct-13 13:53:17

I cut them into bits and stewed for ages and ages until they reduced down to about 1/3 of their original size - they look all brown and caramely. Then freeze in tubs ready for crumbles etc.

Didn't even peel them - the very long cooking means the skins go completely soft.

Except DP has just now brought in about 30 more windfall pears and I have no more tubs...

MothershipG Sun 27-Oct-13 14:08:18

Pear & Lemon Jam it's fab!

Trills Sun 27-Oct-13 16:41:22

I have just made a pear and ginger cake (basic sponge mix, add ground ginger and chopped-up pears) and have grated the remaining pears and am boiling them with sugar and some spices (mulled wine type spices) to make some kind of jam.

Good link there with good "tips and tricks" smile

Artesia Sun 27-Oct-13 17:07:39

Just had another thought- pear and burrata (or mozzarella) salad with salt caramel walnuts- sounds v fancy but actually v easy:

- peel, quarter (lengthways) and roast the pears for about 10 mins, til just soft
- roast some walnuts for about 10 mins
- heat sugar and salt in a pan til it melts, and then jiggle the Walnuts around in it to coat them, and leave to cool (do NOT try to eat one straight from the pan- took weeks for my poor burnt tongue to recover)
- plate up pears with lambs lettuce (or similar leaves) and torn up burrata if you can get it (some waitose branches stock it) or proper mozzarella, scatter walnuts over and dress with a little oil and balsamic vinegar

Is amazing either as a starter or lunch, served with fresh bread

Artesia Sun 27-Oct-13 17:08:18

(you could try it with blue cheese either, although I haven't as am not a fan)

fancyanother Mon 28-Oct-13 10:14:49

Trills that's what pear butter is! I shove a load of pears in the slow cooker with some sugar overnight, then in the morning, blend and then sieve it. I bottled it and put it in the fridge for putting in cakes and on porridge. It's an American thing, and they spread it on toast but I havent tried that smile

CuttedUpPear Mon 28-Oct-13 10:51:20

Artesia would that work well well with a different kind of nut? I don't much like walnuts. I guess they are cheaper than pecans though if we're looking for a wrinkly kind of nut. thlgrin

Artesia Mon 28-Oct-13 18:07:13

Not sure to be honest- pecans might be best, can't see it quite working with other nuts. To be honest though, am not really a walnut fan myself, but amazing what a liberal salt-caramel coating can do for them!!!

Lucyadams184 Tue 29-Oct-13 15:20:15

I would cook them and then freeze it depending on how many you have. Crumble is a good idea and you could mix it with other fruits. If you have a youngster is would be a good pudding with custard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now