Difficult dinner party guests - menu ideas if anyone can help?

(17 Posts)
trainersandcake Tue 22-Oct-13 17:29:42

I'm having a dinner party for my boss and work people next week. There will be six people:

I am vegetarian (but don't mind cooking/serving meat for everyone else)

One of my guests is Muslim (no pork/alcohol)

One of my guests has had one of those food allergy tests and won't eat bread, pasta, spices, soft cheese or peppers.

I'd been planning to do an Italian theme and make this Pasta Giardiniera www.carluccios.com/about-us/blog/food/my-first-blog-item but obviously I can't because of my bosses' non-wheat thing which doesn't include cake - if anyone has ANY idea what I can cook, I'd be all ears! Was thinking perhaps tapas/Moroccan?

mamij Tue 22-Oct-13 17:34:38

Can you do fish? Seabass (with lovely crispy skin) or salmon works well as they cook fairly quickly.

Steamed vegetables and rice/potatoes. You can also do a salad too.

QueenBoudicea Tue 22-Oct-13 17:36:03

What about gluten free pasta? Could that be an option?

absentmindeddooooodles Tue 22-Oct-13 17:36:15

Tapas is a fab idea. That way you can do loads of different dishes and at least a few will suit everyone.

CaptainSweatPants Tue 22-Oct-13 17:37:43

Lamb tagine
With mash
Nice bread for the bread eaters

DXBMermaid Netherlands Tue 22-Oct-13 17:43:16

Can you order in a massive plate of sushi?

Tbh this last guest of yours makes me want to poke my eyes out...

But hey at least you don't have a vegan coming to dinner.

defineme Tue 22-Oct-13 17:50:31

I would do a beef bourgion(no idea how to spell it) (to avoid spices)and a veg curry, both can be done in advance/slow cooked and both served with rice/bread/potaoes.
I think lots of tapas hard work and also lots of pork/spice/peppers in tapas.
Italian could be cold anti pasti stuff to start, homemade pizzas -you can buy ready made gluten free bases for boss. I like making ones with pesto/artichokes and slices of goats cheese.

Stick with the theme and do Delia's oven baked mushroom risotto. Is delicious and easy but looks fancy and covers all your guests I think. Serve with nice bread and salad.

Toowittoowoo Wed 23-Oct-13 18:12:53

I've just typed a few posts and then deleted them because they either contain meat or alcohol. Gosh, this is hard!

How about a veggi and a meat chilli with rice &/or pot wedges &/or wraps with salsa and guacamole or whatever enchiladas with corn wraps.

Oh bugger - I've just realised thay they contain spices.....I give up!

Fish and chips from the chippy? Individual mircowave meals?

Toowittoowoo Wed 23-Oct-13 18:16:48

Roast chicken, dauphinous potatoes and veg (you just won't be able to eat much!!!!)

Catnap26 Wed 23-Oct-13 18:17:27

Pineapple and lentil curry with rice.

jellycat Wed 23-Oct-13 18:17:39

Oooh, that oven baked risotto of Delia's is yummy! Although to do it properly you need to use alcohol (I think she suggests Malmsey but I use Amontillado). I am sure it would work without the alcohol though, as it's only a small quantity. The recipe is in her Winter Collection.

Catnap26 Wed 23-Oct-13 18:19:22

Sorry just saw that the last guest doesn't eat spices so I guess that rules out curry.

macskater Wed 23-Oct-13 18:19:56

Take them to a restaurant. I am heartily fed up of dietary requirements and think having people round for a meal is a thing of the past.

Won't eat spices? What any spices?! All the rest are difficult but workable. I'm not sure I could look a person who refused all spices in the eye! I certainly couldn't bring myself to shake their hand! Okay, some people don't do some spices, and certainly the hot spices aren't for everyone, but to eshew ALL spices and accept a dinner party invite is madness!
I would do a risotto, pumpkin and sage at this time of year.
Or perhaps roast squash halves stuffed with thyme, new potatoes, tomatoes, and feta. (adding chilli, pepper, sweet smoked paprika for the normal peoplewink )

Frittata fits the bill if everyone is happy with the lack of taste due to no spice man - maybe do a nice veg chilli, or curry, or veg paella and just give the nutter an omelette.

trainersandcake Fri 25-Oct-13 16:40:28

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! Have decided to go for a risotto as y'all said, with lots of autumnal veg and hopefully minimal moaning!

Twighlightsparkle Fri 25-Oct-13 16:44:04

You can get lovely non wheat pasta, from all supermarkets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now