If you let your dc cook or bake what do they use to get food out of the oven?

(12 Posts)
nowwearefour Sat 19-Oct-13 17:55:32

My dd is nearly ready to start taking more responsibility in the kitchen but her hand seem far too small for the oven gloves I use. I can't find proper (not toy) child's oven gloves and I wonder what others do? She is a v sensible 8.5 yr old. Others prob use oven gloves or think I am crazy to even think about this but as he approaches 9 I want her to start doing more on her own.

MrsBennetsEldest Sat 19-Oct-13 17:59:37

I think you need to be the person who puts in / takes out of oven.

nowwearefour Sat 19-Oct-13 18:01:15

Does no one else let their 9 yr old get in out of oven? I am happy to reconsider!

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 19-Oct-13 19:00:32

I let my DC (7 and 9) use oven gloves - they seem to cope with the all-in-one oven glove better than the separate ones, though I hate the all-in-one one. Also tell them to stand further away right after they open the door. And also to have a place ready to put the hot stuff when it's out of the oven.

nowwearefour Sat 19-Oct-13 19:11:49

Good tips copper

OldRoan Sat 19-Oct-13 19:17:42

I misread your title as DP, and was puzzled about "letting" them. My answer to that would have been oven glove. Only ever one.

I was cooking from quite a young age, and used the oven gloves that are effectively stitched onto a scarf rather than the individual glove ones. You can get silicone hand cover things, might they do? No arm/wrist protection, which is probably quite important for them...

OldRoan Sat 19-Oct-13 19:19:54
BikeRunSki Sat 19-Oct-13 19:23:29

A grown up

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 19-Oct-13 19:23:36

We also have a pair of "children's oven gloves" which does nothing at all to protect from heat. They are toys. So check if things are "made for children".

Teach some planning and they should be quite safe. (Though I always watch, holding my breath, but hopefully do not let on about how stressful it is ...)

Have fun!

Frontdoorstep Sat 19-Oct-13 19:31:04

My 12 year old is quite a competent cook and I have no problems in him using the oven. My 8 year old is also good and she is also allowed to take things out of the oven although I watch her more closely and she is a little nervous about the hot oven.

They just use the normal oven glove and maybe a folded up tea towel.

mrspremise Sun 20-Oct-13 09:43:51

Just use oven gloves, I find the double sort, rather than the single mitten-shaped ones, iyswim, much easier for my dcs to use. My 6yo is very able with getting trays and cakes out, but obvs I don't let them do bubbling oven dishes or the le Creusets which I can barely lift when they're empty. My 9yo is more nervous in general, so 'puts in' but doesn't 'take out' just yet.

nowwearefour Sun 20-Oct-13 11:41:16

OK
these are reassuring. seems there are two schools of thought on this. I was of the 'don't let them do it camp' but I really want to build their self confidence and self esteem and I think this might be a fab way of going about this for my particular dd1 anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now