NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

right, i've bought a butternut squash..

(36 Posts)
aliceinapalace Sat 19-Oct-13 16:00:13

What can I do with it besides soup? No rice please I'm rice-phobic!

Inkspellme Sun 20-Oct-13 21:04:10

Our house love it roasted with sage & olive oil. then made into a puree in the food processor with the addition of some goats cheese. Nice with various meats during the week.

I freeze it in the silicone muffin cases and then put them all into a ziploc bag in the freezer. It means I can use it bit by bit which suits us.

WhoKnowsWhereTheSlimeGoes Sun 20-Oct-13 19:33:05

Glad to see this thread as I got one in my veggie box this week and none of us like it particularly (it's the sweetness) some of these look like they will balance it out quite well.

EATmum Sun 20-Oct-13 19:26:24

Lovely HFW 3 things recipe that has Parma ham, roasted butternut squash and ricotta cheese. Unbelievably tasty.

Bohemond Sun 20-Oct-13 18:22:52

I bought two today to make the Jamie rotolo. It was obvious it had been on the telly as there were only two bags of frozen spinach left in sainsburys!

NoWayNoHow Sun 20-Oct-13 18:04:36

Oh, and the skin after roasting is DELICIOUS - don't get rid of it!

NoWayNoHow Sun 20-Oct-13 18:02:57

Butternut squash works extremely well with things like sage, bacon, sausages, red onion, feta.
For a side dish, I roast it in chunks with the seeds and then mix it will grilled corn on the cob and Cajun seasoning and spinach.
Also, you can do a "deconstructed" lasagne with feta, pesto, spinach, cheery tomatoes and butternut in the layers.
Also, a risotto with crispy bacon, cooked butternut and sage is delicious.
Hmm, trying to think. Makes a great alternative to mashed potato, is much more flavoursome especially if roasted rather than boiled.
If you have it and scoop out the seeds, roast for a while, you can then fill the hole with anything you like.

Lunaballoon Sun 20-Oct-13 17:37:57

I made JO's rotolo last week. It was seriously one of the nicest things I've eaten in ages! I cooked the squash whole while I had the oven on for something else, let it cool then discarded the seeds and scooped out the flesh. Highly recommended for a meat free meal.

ZingDollyChops Sun 20-Oct-13 17:25:28

peel, then cut into inch cubes.

drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt, toss in a handful of pine nuts then roast.

when done sprinkle with grated parmesan.

we ate this as a side dish with roast gammon, rocket/lettuce/spring onion/spinach salad and a bit of horseradish sauce.

it was awesome! wink

theoriginalandbestrookie Sat 19-Oct-13 20:42:29

I make this soup every week. Chop and fry one onion & one or two garlic cloves, peel and chop the squash then add with enough stock to cover it, along with some dried chilli. Boil for about 20-25 mins until it's soft, then puree.
Can be jazzed up by adding a few spoonfuls of creme fraiche, or at the initial stage chop and add about an inch of chorizo.
Yummy.

SoftSheen Sat 19-Oct-13 19:47:10

Cut it into cubes and put in an ovenproof dish with a chopped red onion, two crushed cloves of garlic, some oregano, thyme, olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until soft, stirring occasionally.

Then either serve as an accompaniment to meat or fish, or mix with cooked pasta and shredded cooked chicken, top with blobs of mozzarella, and brown in a hot oven.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 19-Oct-13 19:41:26

And squash goes really really nicely in Thai green curry too.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 19-Oct-13 19:41:02

The Hugh F-W cake is just like a "normal" cake, just looks a bit more golden.

Though I've made that with 2 different types of squash but not butternut ...

BlueSkySunnyDay Sat 19-Oct-13 19:26:44

There is a lovely recipe for a Prawn red thai curry with mango & butternut squash in the Nigella Express book - I only tried it as someone recommended it (hate mango and butternut squash!) it is truly wonderful!

aliceinapalace Sat 19-Oct-13 19:23:55

Butternut cake?!? Is it sort of fudgey?

sheeplikessleep Sat 19-Oct-13 19:04:17

Cut in half, scoop out seeds.
Put garlic and butter in holes and cook for 45 minutes in oven.
Then scoop out cooked squash, mash up and mix with feta, roasted pine nuts and cooked bacon.
Pop mixture back in shells of squash and top with Parmesan.
Pop back in oven for 20 mins or so.
Serve with side salad.
Yum.

SleepyFish Sat 19-Oct-13 18:59:14

Squash and feta salad is lovely.
Squash soup with a twist.
I cook it in butter with garlic, ginger, onion and a little chilli. Boil some carrots and an apple or two in stock then add squash etc. Add a little milk at the end then blend. It's lovely.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 19-Oct-13 18:58:28

Tea cake. Made it a couple of times - very nice.

I also microwave, mash up, and use in bread. Makes lovely golden bread.

ZZZenagain Sat 19-Oct-13 18:47:18

hmm meant the first lasagne recipe you linked to, not sure now maybe the chicken pesto one. Can't really imagine thetaste of pesto with butternut (unimaginative). Not sure how well it goes

Side dish:

Leave the skin on. Cut into chunky slices and arrange on a baking sheet (lined with baking paper) drizzle over oil, salt, pepper and healthy sprinkle of sugar. Put a few sprigs of rosemary in as well.

Bake for 40-50 mins.

I serve it with roast dinner.

Martha Stewart has an amazing North African squash and chick pea stew/tagine online which is very easy to make.

I love all kinds of squash!

OnceUponAThyme Sat 19-Oct-13 18:46:10

for mashed squash, I just put it in the slow cooker whole, 6/8 hours on low, cut it open and scoop out and mash with a fork. loads of butter and pepper.
roasted with paprika and garlic is also nice.

ZZZenagain Sat 19-Oct-13 18:44:30

might try that lasagne

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 19-Oct-13 18:42:27
StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 19-Oct-13 18:41:26
ZZZenagain Sat 19-Oct-13 18:39:31

I bought one yesterday but don't feel like making soup again.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 19-Oct-13 18:39:02

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now