Where can I buy fruit compote in the UK?

(17 Posts)
CointreauVersial Sat 19-Oct-13 08:09:59

In France you can buy these fantastic little pots of fruit compote (apple, pear, strawberry....), to eat with yogurt, or to shove in your handbag for a quick breakfast at work. They are long-life, in little individual pots. I have just eaten the last pot of the enormous stack I brought back from France last summer, and I really wish I knew if there was anywhere in the UK that sells them.

I've seen large pots of fresh (refrigerated) compote in Waitrose, but I'm after the individual long-life pots. Any bright ideas?

mrspremise Sat 19-Oct-13 16:18:33

Not sure about an actual bricks and mortar food shop, but you could have a look at frenchclick.co.uk, I get lots of lovely stuff from there and I'm sure they have individual pots of compôte smile

CointreauVersial Sat 19-Oct-13 16:36:11

Ooh, not heard of that, I'll have a look, thanks.

VoldermortOrJackBauer Sat 19-Oct-13 16:37:46

I may or may not sometimes buy and eat the baby food versions of these as I've never found a grown up alternative in the uk...

Umbongolongo Sat 19-Oct-13 16:42:05

Waitrose do them. It's more of a long life purée though?

HepsibubbleCauldronToad Sat 19-Oct-13 16:46:00

Waitrose do large jars of compote - cherry for example. I've also bought both rhubarb and peach compotes there too. Usually in the baking aisle among the tinned and jarred fruits.

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 19-Oct-13 16:47:07

I'm sure I've seen similar in the home baking/tinned dessertaisle in Sainsbury's

HepsibubbleCauldronToad Sat 19-Oct-13 16:48:55

This is what they have online, but doesn't look like they do small ones. Buy and freeze portions in Tupperware maybe?

bsc Sat 19-Oct-13 16:53:29

You can buy it at sainsburys or waitrose, I think its called clearspring the brand, only apple, pear, peach though.
I make it and freeze in ice cube trays, so we. Can have a couple with porridge or yoghurt etc

CointreauVersial Sat 19-Oct-13 23:03:07

Thanks all - I shall have a look at Waitrose. Unfortunately our local one is currently a big hole in the ground, as they are rebuilding, so I may have to venture further afield.

They are such handy little things to keep in the cupboard - I'm not giving up!

SuperiorCat Sat 19-Oct-13 23:08:27
Lunaballoon Sat 19-Oct-13 23:16:05

V quick and easy to make yourself. Why not batch cook whatever's available - plums, apricots, whatever and put in little pots?

nicename Sat 19-Oct-13 23:24:46

I get Clearspring - waitrose sells them, so do our healthfood stores. They come in individual pots (2 packs) in lots of varieties.

CointreauVersial Sat 19-Oct-13 23:36:58

Ooh, those Ocado ones are just what I'm after.

Yes, I know I could make it myself, but it's the convenience I'm after.

nicename Sun 20-Oct-13 12:03:15

I make puree with whatever is about to go off. This is how is discovered that strawberry and fig is the food of the gods!

www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/405856_Clearspring_Organic_Pear_Fruit_Puree__2x100g.html

nicename Sun 20-Oct-13 12:05:52

The Clearspring don't have any sugar added. They are about £1.30 for two little tubs (slightly smaller than a yoghurt)

bsc Sun 20-Oct-13 20:26:59

Mmmmm... I was inspired by this thread to make apple and plum compote today! Lots of yummy goodness tucked away in the freezer now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now