have you ever made a freezer to slow cooker bag?

(20 Posts)
mamacoffee Fri 18-Oct-13 07:33:05

Hi

I read a thread about these on here but I can't find it now. I want to experiment today and make up a bag or two with some lamb I have. I also have leeks carrots and potatoes. What else do I need to add to the freezer bag? And when cooking how does everything separate in the slow cooker? And does anyone have any other recipes that have worked like this? I don't eat pork or wine.

Mam23 Fri 18-Oct-13 07:43:27

Yes, we do it loads. Were vegetarian so all our recipes are veggie, but I just take a normal or slow cooker recipe, chop all the veg, herbs etc and bag it up. I tend to add things like pulses, chopped tomatoes etc on the day I'm doing the meal in order to save space in the freezer but I have previously added those to the freezer bag too. The ingredients will all just defrost in the slow cooker as it warms. Or, if I'm feeling organised, I'll take a bag out and put it in the fridge the night before. I find it makes cooking on busy days even quicker and easier and makes sure I use up all the fresh herbs etc within hours of buying them rather than using a bit for one meal and leaving the rest to wilt in the salad drawer!

holycowwhatnow Fri 18-Oct-13 07:54:18

Mam23, I've just bought a slow cooker (Aldi bargain) and am also vegetarian. Any good recipes? Or suggestions for a good recipe book? All I've made so far is a chicken curry for the rest of the family.

I have done it with loads of things, it's useful to have them all laced flat in the freezer ready to pull out and bung in the SlowCooker. Everything mixes together as it defrosts and I cook it on low for the whole day to give ample cooking time since I'm using frozen meat. No ones died of food poisoning get and it gives me the peace of mind that even on hone busiest most stressful days one of us can grab a bag out, stick it in, turn it on and dinner will be sorted at the end of the day.

Things I do are,

Chicken and Chorizo stew.
Beef/chicken/lamb stew
Curry
Fajita filling

Mam23 Fri 18-Oct-13 08:44:13

Our absolute favorite which everyone eats is Mexican soup. It's not a freezer one but still a good quick grab one;
Tin chopped tomatoes
Tin baked beans
tin kidney beans (drained)
Tin sweetcorn
Cup of water
Tbs oregano
Tbs garlic powder
Chili powder to taste
Bung it all in on low for the day. Stir in sour cream or Greek yoghurt to serve +/- grated cheddar

Mam23 Fri 18-Oct-13 08:48:53

I use quite a few recipes from the website A Year of Slow cooking. They're not all vegetarian but we substitute beans, chickpeas, lentils or quorn for meat. Also I use the app Evernote Food and search vegetarianslow cooker rrecipes. There are loads to choose from.

DevonFolk Fri 18-Oct-13 08:51:38

I love this idea. Titsalina do you par cook any of it first? (Sorry if that's a stupid question!)

Bumbolina Fri 18-Oct-13 09:41:03

Oh this could be perfect for me to do on the run up to our second baby arriving in November. Tell me more!!

mamacoffee Fri 18-Oct-13 10:28:01

Thank you all. I want to try some veggie recipes in the slow cooker too well definitely try that bean soup mam! Do all veggies freeze Ok or any I should should avoid? I heard potatoes aren't so great at at freezing is that true?

Saving place.

peachesandpickles Fri 18-Oct-13 13:25:22

fullofcrock.wordpress.com/

This is a link to an American blog about it.

On the right hand side there is a link about food safety with this type of meal.

Sounds interesting.

holycowwhatnow Fri 18-Oct-13 14:25:30

Thanks Mam23

The only thing I ever do cooking wise before freezing is sausages (because they look gross all pink and slimy if not browned before going in the slow cooker) and mince, again because it looks nicer browned first and I like to drain the fat off. smile

Oooh good idea!

mrspremise Sat 19-Oct-13 17:43:15

The one thing I always cook in advance and keep in the freezer for the slow-cooker is onions; I never feel that they cook properly in the crockpot otherwise. I do the mm like this and portion them up to make 6 portions for 6 meals in the future. FWIW, I use them direct from frozen in the cooker...

6 onions, halved and thinly sliced
25g butter
200ml cheapo sherry

Melt the butter and turn the sliced onions in the fat. Bring to a sizzle, then stir well and pour in the sherry. Mix thoroughly and cover the pan. Turn down the heat and cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid, turn up the heat and bubble to reduce any excess liquid. Allow to cool, then divide into portions and freeze.

mrspremise Sat 19-Oct-13 17:46:21

Sorry, posted too soon... A portion of onions, a couple of spoonfuls of curry paste and two cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed. Add can of coconut milk and cook on low all day. Add handful or two of fresh spinach leaves and stir to wilt just before serving, with flatbreads and yoghurt. Easy as.

mamacoffee Sat 19-Oct-13 21:01:48

Mrs premise I like the idea of the onions I might try that minus the sherry. Ib agree with you about onions, I can never believe it when I read recipes that say fry onions for 2 to 3 minutes, you might as well not bother lol!

Peaches Thanks for that link v useful. Im going to try some of herrecipes!

Yesterday I prepared 2 bags of irish stew, in going to test one out in the next week or so and if it works I'll definitely be doing this more often!

I also like the idea of preparing the recipe ingredients minus the meat and freezing that, as mostly we freeze meat as soon as we buy it so I have have several packs of meat frozen and I couldn't figure out how to adapt this method if it's already frozen in its own

I don't think I'd do it everyday though like the Blogger in that link, but I really like this method (if I have success with it! ) to save some time a couple if times a week!

jobnockey Tue 22-Oct-13 13:24:55

I have just been given a brand new crockpot and knew I'd be able to find some inspiration on here! determined to use it as I can imagine it making life a lot easier if used effectively!
The cookbook i have been given does involve a fair bit of prep in terms of chopping and cooking so very interesting to find out that's not absolutely necessary. I think i might try both ways and see if anyone can tell the difference...
any more ideas? cheaper the better!

Mam23 Wed 23-Oct-13 10:55:34

We find potatoes freeze just fine. Often have them in the mix, diced either for soup or in veggie curries.

Ive never had much success freezing my own mushrooms but then the DCs all have an aversion to mushrooms so I haven't tried for ages. They seem to freeze ok in the pre-frozen packs you get from the supermarket so there must be a trick to it.

MuffCakes Wed 23-Oct-13 11:04:42

Does anybody else find that if they add onions to any slow cooker recipe it just tastes rank? I though all my slowcooker meals were blurgh and all tasted the same until I took out the onions and now it's not amazingly the best ever food but it's nice enough.

OP I cheat quite a bit and don't really do recipes as in mine they all taste the same. I tend to buy cooking sauce jars add cooked frozen chicken breast strips from the bag I buy and come home to something thats quite nice and at half 5 when we get in it's very nice not to have to cook dinner for the dc as it's there already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now