Pavlova

(5 Posts)
Eastwickwitch Thu 17-Oct-13 09:00:10

Put this on cakes but I suspect this is a better place.
Any tips for making a really pretty pavlova?
I've been asked to make one for a friend's dinner party. My normal one is just a layer of meringue topped with whipped cream & fruit but I want to make it look special.
I wondered about piping the edges to make rosettes but not sure how much different it would be to just spooning.

milkmoustache Thu 17-Oct-13 12:41:34

You could add in some chopped pistachios so you get small flecks of green, scatter pomegranate seeds over the top, make a brown sugar one so you get a lovely chewy texture. I am not good at piping so I would go down the route of slightly varying the ingredients. One of my best cakes was a carrot one where I had a last minute bright idea and scattered marigold petals all over the icing - it definitely had the wow factor and cost me nothing extra. Wrong time of year but there must be some edible flowers around somewhere?

Eastwickwitch Thu 17-Oct-13 13:31:44

Thanks do much, I'm definitely going to try pistachios, sounds amazing. Do you use golden caster or soft brown? I've never tried one with brown sugar.

milkmoustache Thu 17-Oct-13 14:44:56

For a 3 egg white pav, you use 100g of caster and 50g light muscovado and follow the normal recipe. Good luck - hope you wow them!

Eastwickwitch Thu 17-Oct-13 16:36:36

milk it's in the oven & looking gorgeous although I'm not used to brown tinge & keep thinking it's burning I found some edible silver glitter which I'm going to put on the sides before the cream and fruit.
Thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now