Cauliflower curry

(7 Posts)

Am craving aloo gobhi - does anybody have a t&t recipe which does not involve tinned tomatoes? I could do my bog standard chuck a load of spices and yoghurt in a pan thing, but I fancy trying a proper recipe for a change.

Thanks. smile

Mmmm..Aloo gobhi, now you're talking my language! Has to be with peas and served with a hot chappati.

Here's what I put in mine:

Cauliflower – 1 medium, cut to bite size florets
Potatoes – 2 large, cut to bite size pieces
Frozen Green Peas – A handful
Rapeseed Oil
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
Garlic – 5 cloves, grated
Fresh Tomatoes – 2 chopped
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – according to heat capacity
Seasoning

I sometimes finish it off by sprinkling some fresh coriander leaves, if I have any. Don't forget to add the Garam Masala near the end.

TeamEdward Wed 16-Oct-13 21:30:19

Just reading this thread title is giving me flatulence. blush

Spicekitchenuk Thu 17-Oct-13 08:55:06

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Perfect! Thank you, Mavis.
Team Edward - aloo gobhi is worth the flatulence. smile

fieldfare Thu 17-Oct-13 18:48:37

Excellent recipe there, thanks. I'm pinching that to go with dinner tomorrow night! smile

luverlytea Thu 17-Oct-13 21:06:34

that is a super recipe, thanks Mavis! I shall try it.
you could vary it sometimes by leaving out the tomato and garam masala, and adding some coconut milk, two teaspoons of tamarind paste and curry leaves.
It would taste yummy with khichuri.
Khichuri is equal parts of soaked dal cooked with rice, adding a pinch of asafoetida, half a teaspoon of turmeric, and some freshly ground black pepper heated in a tablespoon of ghee or oil before cooking. Stir in a tablespoon of ghee or butter towards the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now