Bolognese with bacon?

(8 Posts)
VelvetStrider Wed 16-Oct-13 16:25:22

I'm making spaghetti bolognese tonight, but I have some bacon rashers that need using up. Can I add them to the bolognese? And if so, how do I do this? Cook them first with the mince or separately? Leave them in the mix to simmer or add at the end? Any other advice?
smile

heidihole Wed 16-Oct-13 16:28:24

Think that's quite common, I see bacon on a few bolog recipes. Never done it myself but I'd cut it up and throw it in when I put the mince in.

CoffeeChocolateWine Wed 16-Oct-13 16:35:58

I usually do put bacon in my bolognese...it's yummy! The way I usually do it is I brown the mince first then tip out onto a plate with kitchen towel on it to soak up some excess fat. I then cook the onion and garlic, then cook the bacon with it and then tip the mince back in and continue as normal. Any other veg I usually put in after bacon but before mince goes back in. Enjoy!

MrsWOLF1 Wed 16-Oct-13 16:36:58

I just cut it up and add to the mince .. I find using scissors easier than a knife

Offcolour Wed 16-Oct-13 16:37:20

I cook it with the onion/garlic. On a diet so thinks off the menu, but it makes the bolognese much more tasty! Enjoy!

Plus3 Wed 16-Oct-13 16:37:51

I use those little pancetta cubes in mine - lovely!

ouryve Wed 16-Oct-13 16:38:40

Yes. Add them at the start and cook with the mince. I sometimes add them before the mince if they're sufficiently fatty.

VelvetStrider Wed 16-Oct-13 16:58:56

Thankyou! I'll give it a go then!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now