something non-boring for beef mince

(13 Posts)
tshirtsuntan Wed 16-Oct-13 10:07:02

Morning, I have in my fridge a pack of beef mince, rather a lot of veg etc and absolutely no inspiration! Any recipes other than the chilli/bolog/meatballs/cottage pie it usually morphs into? Suggestions much appreciated smile

NameyChangey666 Wed 16-Oct-13 13:02:56

Beef pilaf - Google for recipe, I made one from Olive Mag. Add in as many veg as you like.

momb Wed 16-Oct-13 13:05:57

biryani, meatloaf, burgers, lasagne, enchiladas/burritos ?

tshirtsuntan Wed 16-Oct-13 14:02:34

I have made a beef in cabbage roll- smells a little odd, slightly wishing I was having chilli now grin see how it goes.. momb how do you do biriyani with mince?

flyingwidow Wed 16-Oct-13 14:04:02

Tacos?

dingledongle Wed 16-Oct-13 14:38:30

Minced beef cobbler? I think that is what it is called.

Similar recipe to Bolognese and put dumplings on the top (self raising flour, suet and water). Kids loved this last week when I made it.

It is essentially Bolognese but more 'wintery'

tshirtsuntan Wed 16-Oct-13 15:17:33

Hmmm, cobbler,tacos,Britain all sound better than the cabbage wrapped travesty currently baking away in my kitchen- May have to buy more mince blush

tshirtsuntan Wed 16-Oct-13 15:18:06

Britain??!! Biriyani !

luverlytea Wed 16-Oct-13 16:21:33

How to make Keema Biryani: Keema= mince
• 350 gm Basmati Rice
• 400 gm Keema
• 3 tbsp Curd (yogurt)
• 1 large-sized Onion (chopped)
• 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
• 100 gm Ghee
• 1/2 cup Milk
• A few strands of Saffron
• 1-inch piece Cinnamon
• 3-4 Cardamoms
• 4-5 Cloves
• 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
• 1 cup Chicken Stock or hot water
• 2 tbsp Lime Juice
Cook rice in salted water, till it is just half cooked. Drain the water and keep rice aside.
Mix the saffron in milk and keep aside.
Heat ghee in a medium-sized pan and fry chopped onions, till they become translucent.
Now, add the whole spices and let them fry.
Mix in keema and ginger-garlic paste. Fry for 6-7 minutes, on medium heat.
Once the keema is properly fried and releases aroma, mix in yogurt and red chili powder.
Turn the heat to low and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Turn off the flame and set aside.
Place one part of the half cooked rice in a baking dish. Then, add a portion of prepared keema and sprinkle half of the saffron milk and half of the lime juice.
Now, cover with another portion of rice and repeat the same process with keema, saffron and lime juice. Top it with the remaining rice.
Pour chicken stock or hot water over the layers of biryani.
Lid the top or seal it with a foil. Bake in the oven, at a low temperature for 15 minutes.

luverlytea Wed 16-Oct-13 16:23:51

dear tshirtsuntan , perhaps you could add some tomato sauce and fried garlic to your cabbage rolls, and your favourite herbs.

luverlytea Wed 16-Oct-13 16:29:28
tshirtsuntan Wed 16-Oct-13 18:45:41

Keema sounds great- back to the joy of lidls tomorrow for more mince! Cabbagey thing quite tasty actually...think it was the smell of school dinners that put me off grin thanks for the suggestions, feeling more enthused about crappy old mince now!

luverlytea Fri 18-Oct-13 03:06:12

Once you have cooked your spicy keema (mince) you could top it with mashed potato and bake for a different shepherd's pIe.
You could omit the tomato, and stuff samosas, puff pastry turnovers, Cornish pasties, spring rolls, cannelloni, lasagne, pancakes, or parathas.
Or stuff scooped out tomatoes, aubergine pieces, chunks of courgette or marrow or potatoes,and bake on a tray.
Even stuffed won tons to float in your soup!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now