Anyone used a bread machine to create pasta dough?

(8 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Tue 15-Oct-13 21:59:25

I've never made fresh pasta but I'm toying with the idea of buying a pasta maker for a Christmas present for DH who already uses his bread machine. I don't really want the gift to end up in the back of the cupboard gathering dust though! Any thoughts on whether a bread maker would speed the process up? Thanks

Vatta Wed 16-Oct-13 09:48:54

You can definitely use some breadmakers for pasta dough, but it may vary depending on the brand/features? Maybe give it a try before spending cash on a new gadget. Lots of recipes/videos showing the technique online.

drwitch Wed 16-Oct-13 10:05:53

the time in making the pasta comes in the rolling and cutting, not the mixing and kneading so you could but my case is that it would not save you much time

mistlethrush Wed 16-Oct-13 10:07:03

Have you got a food processor or mixer as that's all you need for pasta (and the pasta maker to roll it out thinly)

Elderflowergranita Wed 16-Oct-13 10:43:44

You actually don't even need a mixer. It's really easy to make the dough by hand.

It's the rolling really that's all the work.

mistlethrush Wed 16-Oct-13 10:56:44

I agree - just a mixer makes it 'even' easier! grin

Elizabeth22 Wed 16-Oct-13 12:51:31

Oh ok - just shows I know absolutely nothing about the process. Is the rolling part labour intensive?

mistlethrush Wed 16-Oct-13 13:24:14

No, not particularly - we have a hand-driven one and you simply turn the hand and feed the dough though between two cylinders - like an old fashioned mangle - you gradually decrease the width between the rollers and the pasta gets thinner...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now