what cake under butterscotch icing??

(11 Posts)
MillyONaire Tue 15-Oct-13 13:25:36

I made a coffee cake a while back with fudge icing (but tasted amazing like thick butterscotch sauce). DD wants the same for her upcoming b'day. Well she wants the icing and whatever is under is less important. I wasn't too pleased w/the coffee cake (not coffee-ish enough & not sure kids will like it) so I was thinking of doing a vanilla sponge but would like to add a bit of interest with icing or syrup in the middle. Something to contrast with the sugeryness of the icing - like raspberry (but not raspberry iykwim) or maybe just vanilla icing???

bakingaddict Tue 15-Oct-13 13:58:43

I wouldn't pair a raspberry filling with a butterscotch frosting

Have you though about adding some honeycomb to a vanilla icing to jazz it up. You could make your own or just smash up some Crunchie bars

How about making a big brownie and instead of cutting it into squares just cover it with your fudge icing

Or a red velvet cake and your icing.

YDdraigGoch Tue 15-Oct-13 14:02:27

Chocolate cake with butterscotch icing - yum.

PoppadomPreach Tue 15-Oct-13 14:03:45

banana and date muffins would go well with a butterscotch topping

YDdraigGoch Tue 15-Oct-13 14:13:37

Great idea Poppadom

MillyONaire Tue 15-Oct-13 16:11:49

No, I wasn't thinking raspberry just something like raspberry in that it would provide a contrast. I like the idea of banana. What does red velvet taste of?

MillyONaire Tue 15-Oct-13 16:17:26

What about (in the middle):
Cinnamon icing or
Banana frosting

bakingaddict Tue 15-Oct-13 16:55:01

Fresh banana in icing makes it discolour really quickly so use banana essence or flavouring but is a nice idea

Red velvet doesnt taste any different from cake. I myself just use red dye but you can do it with beetroot

sharond101 Tue 15-Oct-13 22:24:01
ClaraOswald Tue 15-Oct-13 22:26:13

How about a ginger cake?

HuevosRancheros Wed 16-Oct-13 13:08:24

Ginger, or sticky toffee?

Neither have to be oversweet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now