Spinach recipe needed. Is roasting with oil and garlic good?

(23 Posts)
cherryblossoming Mon 14-Oct-13 11:56:26

I have got two bags of Tesco spinach. They added the 2nd one as a substitution. Usually I add spinach to soup to make my kids eat it this way.
This time I want something with a zing. So I have found this recipe and it sounds good to me; also not too time-consuming. www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spinach/

I also have broccoli, eggs, tomatoes, parsnips, aubergines. I can cook aubergines with tomatoes, carrots, onions and add spinach if that does not spoil the taste.

Or I can boil potatoes, dice them, add whisked eggs, salt, spinach, black pepper and bake it.

Or I can just follow the recipe from the link. Are there any vegetables which do not go with spinach?

Many thanks for recommendations.

magnumicelolly Mon 14-Oct-13 12:42:57

Mushroom and spinach lasagne, mmm!

nicename Mon 14-Oct-13 13:03:12

This is what I do as a side. Its lovely with fish and rice. I have even been known to polish it off with some doritos! I suppose its a variation of tadziki.

BORANI
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
•1/2 lb fresh or frozen spinach, washed and drained
•1 cup plain yogurt (or more - to taste really)
•1 teaspoon finely chopped onion/thin slices of radish to garnish (optional)
•1/4 teaspoon pepper
• Good dash of Garlic salt

Preparation:

In a small saucepan bring fresh spinach to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for 10 minutes. If using frozen spinach, follow package directions.

Drain spinach and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Squidge through a sieve to get as much water out as possible. Lay some kitchen roll (not the cheap stuff as it dissolves) in top and give it a press. Chop with a fork in a bowl to break up the leaves.

In a bowl, combine spinach, pepper, garlic salt and onions. Add yogurt and fold in with other ingredients.

Refrigerate and serve well chilled.

www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://globaltable.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/800px-img_5106.jpg&imgrefurl=http://globaltableadventure.com/2010/02/07/recipe-sabse-borani-spinach-yogurt-dip/&h=477&w=542&sz=86&tbnid=JfNKpc52ZfrF2M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=102&zoom=1&usg=__Z8Jylfg4FWxxK8OR8QzbYHAVnCM=&docid=VlimndusSqxgxM&sa=X&ei=A9xbUuWJCI6b1AWay4CIAw&ved=0CGIQ9QEwBw

nicename Mon 14-Oct-13 13:06:47

Ooooh aubergines. My favourite aubergine resipe is (ignore the grapes unless you have a ME shop nearby - but they are beautifully tart):

mulberrymary.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/khoresht-gheimeh-badamjan-ghay-meh-ba.html

NewBlueShoesToo Mon 14-Oct-13 14:02:27

Cook spinach, mix with Philadelphia type cheese and black pepper. Construct lasagne. On the top pour some passata and grate some cheese. Bake in oven for 30 mins or until lasagne is soft and top browned. Yum yum!

nicename Mon 14-Oct-13 14:16:01

Now that sounds very nice! What's the cheese to spinach ratio?

cherryblossoming Mon 14-Oct-13 14:18:16

Thank you, thank you. For some reason I could not open mumsnet an hour ago, so
I had to start cooking. I was hungry! I roasted chopped garlic with some cayenne pepper (I was sneezing like mad); then I added washed spinach and kale and salt. In the very end I cracked a few eggs on the side of the pan. I served it with mash potatoes. It was very tasty.
I still have one bag of spinach so I am going to experiment with your recipes!

I once tried little pies at the party. The feeling was: spinach, pine nuts and may be something else. I loved them.

NewBlueShoesToo Mon 14-Oct-13 15:21:57

I can't find original recipe but I don't think quantities are crucial. I just add cheese until it looks creamy but there is more spinach than cheese sauce IYSWIM.smile

thruthewisteria Mon 14-Oct-13 15:32:29

I usually use up excess spinach or chard in a quiche (but call it spinachio pie from the name in a Riverford cook book on which it is based.)

Onions (sliced and sauted) on a short crust pastry base, wilted spinach, whatever cheese i have about (feta is good as is blue goats cheese) 3 eggs beaten mixed with whatever is in fridge along the lines of Creme fraiche, cream, whole milk etc until it makes enough to nearly fill the pastry case. Nutmeg makes it taste great. Can add the tomatoes or roast to serve alongside.

nicename Mon 14-Oct-13 15:34:56

I've got a bushel of kale in the fridge. Any ideas?

thruthewisteria Mon 14-Oct-13 15:38:10

I love kale it in risotto or steamed then tossed in lemon juice and caraway seeds (& maybe a few chilli flakes).

thruthewisteria Mon 14-Oct-13 15:39:21

Oops I love kale in risotto (it = superfluous)

thruthewisteria Mon 14-Oct-13 15:40:55

That correction makes even less sense. (The 'it' was superfluous.) I'm going to stop now.

nicename Mon 14-Oct-13 15:41:10

I really thought I'd invented kale risotto! I didn't know it was a 'thing'.

lollylaughs Mon 14-Oct-13 15:46:25

I didn't go into the link so apol if this was already posted.

I rinse mine and without adding extra water add salt and cook with lid on. In the meantime fry up some potato cubes and onion. When they are done add to the spinach and add in some feta cheese to make it creamy. Add plenty salt and black pepper. You can use cream instead of feta.

thruthewisteria Mon 14-Oct-13 15:46:37

Yes kale risotto is lovely, topped with blue cheese and walnuts. I'm getting hungry now.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 14-Oct-13 18:10:47

I just wanted to say thanks to you lot.

Inspired by this thread I just served creamed garlicky spinach lasagne to two toddlers.

They have eaten the lot! 750gs of spinach shock

It's a miracle.

They are still asking for more and it's gone! smile

nicename Mon 14-Oct-13 18:24:13

They'll be like Popeye!!

cherryblossoming Mon 14-Oct-13 21:55:09

Yum, lovely recipes. I am starting to really like spinach. But I think next time I will cook two packs of spinach and one kale. The portion gets ridiculously small smile Tempting to try it with blue or feta cheese. I think in Greece they bake omelette with soinach and feta cheese.

One question regarding cream or cream cheese. I might tryo ne day making ravioli stuffed with spinach and riccotta. I have tried the ones from the shop but has anyone tried to make them at home from scratch? Will I need to add an egg for better binding?

Thank you again.

LondonMother Wed 16-Oct-13 16:41:10

I adore spinach in all its forms. If you want to make it one of the main features of your meal rather than a side dish, the lasagne mentioned above sounds fab, or one of these would be good.

Spanakopitta is a Greek spinach and cheese pie. Pretty easy, very tasty. This looks like a good, straightforward recipe. Not essential to add mint and dill or serve with a dollop of yoghourt, but I expect it would be tasty.

I also love spinach in gobi aloo saag - this looks like a good recipe for that. I would add a bit of chilli to it.

HerrenaHarridan Wed 16-Oct-13 22:27:40

Honestly my head is now bursting with spinachy potential.

Selks Wed 16-Oct-13 22:37:51

Spinach is fantastic stuff. I'm rarely without a bag of it in the fridge. This weekend I will be making spicy spinach dhal curry, with chapattis to scoop it up and a cucumber and yogurt raita. Oh yes.

cherryblossoming Thu 17-Oct-13 11:05:31

I love the sound of spinach with Asian dishes. I think I should try cooking Gobi Aloo Saag or dhal curry. May have tried made by Waitrose. Lasagna too sound yummy. I think I have tried it before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now