NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Slow cooker pulled pork recipe please

(15 Posts)
nappyaddict Sun 13-Oct-13 20:56:48

But not with BBQ sauce.

MissBattleaxe Sun 13-Oct-13 20:58:31

Last time I stuck a shoulder of pork in a slow cooker it came out like tender string with nothing but a cup of water thrown over it.

I thought pulled pork was always barbecue flavour, but I may be wrong. maybe you could try jerk seasoning or tex/mex style seasoning?

nappyaddict Sun 13-Oct-13 21:06:21

How long did you cook it for?

MissBattleaxe Sun 13-Oct-13 21:08:41

from around 11am til about 6ish.

NoelHeadbandz Sun 13-Oct-13 21:20:35

I sit a shoulder of pork on two or three red onions (halved) and a full bulb of garlic sliced across the middle. Give it a sprinkling of salt, pepper, cayenne and a pinch of paprika, and a splash (half a glass or less) of apple juice.

Six hours in the slow cooker.

Take out and shred and serve with crusty rolls. Those who like barbecue flavour can smother with barbecue sauce, and those who don't can have stuffing and apple sauce.

nappyaddict Sun 13-Oct-13 21:22:56

Oooh yes much prefer stuffing and apple sauce! Do you cook for 6 hours on low or high?

NoelHeadbandz Sun 13-Oct-13 21:26:07

That's why I do it that way, cos I don't like barbecue sauce!

Six hours on high, I do it, and I often also give it 15 minutes finishing in a hot oven, which just browns and crisps up the top bits.

nappyaddict Sun 13-Oct-13 22:39:04

missbattleaxe so that's 7 hours on high or low?

MissBattleaxe Sun 13-Oct-13 23:11:02

Low. Or longer. The longer the better really.

poachedeggs Sun 13-Oct-13 23:12:45

Do you need to take the fat off first?

MissBattleaxe Mon 14-Oct-13 08:07:03

I keep the fat on for cooking, but discard it for eating. It adds moisture.

nappyaddict Wed 23-Oct-13 11:21:45

MissBattleaxe I did the same when I tried cooking it for the first time yesterday. Was all worried at the end that the fat hadn't melted in the cooking process, but I see it's not meant to. Phew! I cooked it for about 10 hours on low and you could cut it with a teaspoon.

This recipe using Dr Pepper.

Honest to god it is the best pulled pork ever. DP would happily eat it every single night!

slebmum Wed 23-Oct-13 12:12:38

Last time I did it I used a pack of fajita seasoning (don't add any liquid, you don't need it) because that's what was in the cupboard. It was amazing. Did it on low foor about 12 but it was quite a big joint.

hackneybird Sun 12-Jan-14 09:47:56

Just found this thread- I'm attempting it now! Just in case anyone is reading, should I caramelise the meat first?

Husband thinks I should.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now