preserving chillies

(13 Posts)
mousmous Sun 13-Oct-13 16:05:26

have a few but not too many from the garden.
can I just chop them and store them in oil? or do I need to heat them first?

EeyoreIsh Sun 13-Oct-13 16:11:23

I chuck mine straight into the freezer.

bzoo Sun 13-Oct-13 16:22:32

Dry them on the windowsill / airing cupboard smile

snowlie Sun 13-Oct-13 17:37:52

Definitely don't just chop them and chuck them in oil - they will foost and turn toxic. Freeze - chopped or whole, dry, or make chilli oil by a safer technique - I can't remember the method...hopefully someone else will know.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sun 13-Oct-13 18:28:59

Or make chilli vodka

FaddyPeony Tue 15-Oct-13 12:45:46

Freeze them. They do wonderfully in the freezer, no need to defrost before cooking.

PoppadomPreach Tue 15-Oct-13 12:49:11

I freeze them too. Love being able to go fetch a chilli whenever a recipe demands it, and not have to pay 89p or whatever for a packet.

I love chilies a lot.

adagio Tue 15-Oct-13 13:08:13

I froze chilli cubes - chopped, and in an ice cube tray with passata or water and throw in as needed to a sauce mix. Chopping in bulk - wear gloves!!!

silverangel Tue 15-Oct-13 13:27:13

I just leave them on the windowsill and they dry out really well, much better than when I spent hours trying to dry them out in the oven a la Jamie.

MeAndMySpoon Tue 15-Oct-13 17:28:34

We froze a bumper crop a few years ago (bloody hot things lasted years! I am not a great chilli eater) and since I bought a pot of Habanero chillies from Aldi which did unexpectedly well this summer, I have the same problem. They are really, really hot! If DH uses more than half of one in a chilli, it's too much for me. I've decided to make crabapple and chilli jelly.

Patilla Tue 15-Oct-13 17:56:23
ceeveebee Tue 15-Oct-13 18:00:23

We've made tomoto and chilli jam this year as had a glut of green tomatoes. Only a few chillies left now but we usually dry them in the oven (switched off but still warm)

MaryIngalls Wed 16-Oct-13 18:13:01

Chop and freeze. As others have said, use without defrosting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now