Sourdough bread starter

(5 Posts)
grouchyoscar Tue 08-Oct-13 10:54:01

I have started and named my starter and made the first loaf but...'Bob' has made a very sour bread.

'What did I expect' you say, Well I didn't expect this sour to be honest. Does anyone have any ideas how I could de-sour the basic 'Bob' without changing my starter?

Thanks in advance

I think that it is less sour if fresher. It might be worth making Bob bigger, and baking more frequently. You don't want a surplus, however, so this may not be the answer, just a thought

frenchfancy Tue 08-Oct-13 13:10:52

Actually I think it is because he is too young. "Herman" is much less sour now than he was six months ago. Feed him and split him a few times, even if you throw away the split, it will be worth it in the end; We hardly ever use Yeast now (except for pizzas).

grouchyoscar Tue 08-Oct-13 15:35:00

Thanks for the info, I have taken 2 cups out and added 2 cups of flour and warm tap water, I've also split him up so he has more space, the acrid sour flavour hass been tempered. I may make a loaf tomorrow

Cublet Fri 11-Oct-13 16:17:59

I use a BBC recipe, http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sourdough_starter_22976
but since last Saturday used RAW (unpasteurised) milk as an experiment. The starter turned out OK and not smelly but the final bread was wonderful. Instead of a dusty grey/brown (as in Waitrose), this bread looked a golden yellow like Victoria Sponge and what's more had more air pockets than usual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now