NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

I have 4 tins of black treacle, what should I make?

(20 Posts)
frenchfancy Mon 07-Oct-13 20:36:07

I've been cleaning out my baking cupboard and found 4 tins of black treacle. I don't even know why. I only use it for one recipe (ginger biscuits) and that only uses a spoonful.

Any ideas?

Hawkmoth Mon 07-Oct-13 20:37:20

All kinds of filthy revenge.

Or Parkin.

thistlelicker Mon 07-Oct-13 20:39:38

I would bin the lot !!! Actually I wouldn't even have it in cupboard!! Vile stuff hahagrin

YDdraigGoch Mon 07-Oct-13 20:41:46

Add it to flapjack and reduce the amount of syrup.
Also a teaspoon or so in a chilli is nice. And parkin.

debka Mon 07-Oct-13 20:43:24
zgaze Mon 07-Oct-13 20:43:55

Make loads of bonfire toffee and send it ALL to me

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1776638/bonfire-toffee

BellaVida Mon 07-Oct-13 20:43:59

So many options...
- flapjacks
- sticky ginger cake
- gingerbread
- treacle tarts
- different kinds of dark or rye breads

Or thinking of Halloween...
- toffee
- toffee apples

Yum!

frenchfancy Mon 07-Oct-13 21:05:09

Gosh that was quick. I don't really like treacle toffee, but I love Parkin (or I used to I think it is probably 20 years since I had some).

Never had it in chilli, but I can imagine the flavour.

DH makes rye bread so I'll get him to add some (in fact maybe that's why we have so much, perhaps he's been buying it on the sly).

I confess I have never made a toffee apple.

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Mon 07-Oct-13 21:09:27

you could use it as a burgler trap on your back steps?

YDdraigGoch Tue 08-Oct-13 11:07:37

Don't throw it away though - it lasts for years. Or send it over here to me. I love the stuff.

I do a marmalade recipe with Black Treacle. Hold on to it until January!

Editededition Tue 08-Oct-13 12:08:55

Christmas cakes for the next 20 years?

Minty82 Tue 08-Oct-13 12:11:46

Ha, I had this - we just moved house and I found myself unpacking FIVE blocks of white chocolate into my new baking cupboard. I don't eat it; and I can only think of one pudding I ever use it in!
Treacle-wise - gingerbread! And sticky toffee pudding. Yum.

Freecycle

Bippidee Tue 08-Oct-13 12:38:58

I think the Nigella ham in coke recipe calls for black treacle?

frenchfancy Tue 08-Oct-13 13:07:16

So after doing a bit of googling on gingerbread and ginger cake I've come across this: thecakedcrusader.blogspot.fr/2008/08/dark-jamaican-ginger-cake.html which I'm going to make this afternoon.

I had completely forgotten about the existence of Jamacian Ginger Cake. the McVities version was a real treat in our house when I was growing up.

I'm then going to have a go at Boston beans in the slow cooker.

frenchfancy Thu 10-Oct-13 06:46:58

Jamaica Ginger cake was delicious. I highly recommend it (even if you have to go out and buy treacle specially.

Nigella's fresh gingerbread is bloody lovely: www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/9294855/Fresh-gingerbread-with-lemon-icing.html
It doesn't need the icing. After weighing it all out, it is a "stir wet ingredients into dry" type job. Which is the kind of cake-making I can warm to grin

JRsandCoffee Thu 10-Oct-13 10:13:36

Treacle scones..........oh Lord may have to go and make some now that I've typed the words!

frenchfancy Thu 10-Oct-13 10:55:02

Recipe please JRs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now