My 2 year old eats a lot

(7 Posts)
anna1991 Mon 07-Oct-13 10:02:41

Hi ladies,
I hope i dont sound mean when i say this, but my 2 year old eats a lot. His current portions are almost the same as mine. He has been like this since he was a baby. He was born 3.47 kgs. He is very skinny but very tall. Is it normal for him to be eating so much?. And where does it all go. He eats less when he is teething or unwell but eats 5-6 times a day. He has milk once in the morning and once at bedtime. The only saving grace is that he only eats very health homecooked meals and eats everything. This is my first baby and I have never had siblings so I am not sure if it is normal to eat such big portions. I have often tried to give him smaller portions but then he eats from my plate. All my friends who have kids say he is eating too much! I have never dared ask something like this to the GP should he put me under the scanner for child neglect or something!

anna1991 Mon 07-Oct-13 10:05:23

He just had a breakfast of 2 egg omlette and half a banana. When i sat next to him to have my breakfast he started eating my fruit and yogurt and when i said no he started screaming! I am starving lol!

buildingmycorestrength Mon 07-Oct-13 13:48:20

Anna first of all, I don't know if it is too much, sorry! It is great that you are cooking for him and he is eating healthy meals.

If you go to your GP or HV to ask about this, it will not be a trigger for concern about you or your baby. They absolutely will not see it as you being a bad mum! They will be glad you are asking and caring about your child's health, and they will hopefully be able to advise.

debka Mon 07-Oct-13 20:46:04

My 2 year old used to eat a lot.

She's 2.5 now and has slowed down.

I wouldn't worry, ime they are good at eating to their appetite and know what they need.

Notonthisplanet Mon 07-Oct-13 22:11:43

My dd 2.3 is the same, she can eat a two egg omelette plus the rest, even a bigger portion of pasta than me and is always wanting some of mine aswell. Also screaming if I say no smile. I don't worry as she is slender and at that age I was told they can eat lots and constantly want snacks, it never ceases to amaze me.

CrowmarshGibbon Tue 08-Oct-13 12:30:49

As long as you're not force feeding him then he will self limit. Bear in mind they grow at a phenomenal rate and never stop moving it's not surprising they eat like little piglets. Mine is the same. Imagine how bad it'll get when they hit puberty and shoot up another couple of feet!

I have 3 DS's.
When DS1 (who is now 14) was 2, we were meeting friends in Pizza Express and I knew I wouldn't be able to fob him off with a children's menu. He ate a whole pizza, adult size that is. And garlic bread.

These days i can't get DS2 (aged almost 11) and DS3 (4) to finish a children's pizza in Pizza Express.

By the way, we don't eat in Pizza Express very often, it's just to illustrate how different they can all be. DS1 still eats a lot, and although he is of medium build, he is by no means fat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now