NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Rhubarb....

(18 Posts)
Bunbaker Mon 07-Oct-13 19:11:55

Actually MoominMammasHandbag I think I remember my mum saying that as well. Early forced rhubarb is much nicer than the later, green sour stuff.

lucysmam Mon 07-Oct-13 15:07:38

you learn something new every day!

MoominMammasHandbag Mon 07-Oct-13 14:22:48

Rhubarb picked after June has an increased oxalic acid content. This can cause stomach upsets and worsen arthritis and gout symptoms.
Plus it is stringy, green and sour to be honest. I pick mine very heavily in the spring while it is young and pink then freeze it. Also stops it from spreading too much.

JamNan Mon 07-Oct-13 07:54:25

Rhubarb season
Forced - late December to March
Field grown - April to September

It keeps a couple of weeks in the fridge and it freezes well, I don't even bother to blanch it just cut in chunks and freeze it in a bag. Makes lovely jam and chutney too.

Mine failed spectacularly on the allotment - not enough horsepoo methinks.

lucysmam Sun 06-Oct-13 18:22:28

Cheers Allalone I'll look that up too. Just off to dry my hair smile

lucysmam Sun 06-Oct-13 18:21:44

confused really!? What about it makes your teeth feel funny?

I love the stuff, the first lot didn't even make it to a pan....I sucked the life out of it accompanied by a bowl of sugar grin blush

Allalonenow Sun 06-Oct-13 18:21:44

Rhubarb and orange compote is a delicious combination too.

Bunbaker Sun 06-Oct-13 18:17:49

I'm not a rhubarb connoisseur either as I don't really care for the stuff. I can manage a rhubarb crumble once a year but that's it. It makes my teeth feel funny.

lucysmam Sun 06-Oct-13 18:17:31

Thanks MyCat, too late for today but I'll put it in my stripey book in case FIL brings any more home smile

lucysmam Sun 06-Oct-13 18:15:37

Really Bun? I'm not a rhubarb conniseur but it still seems good to me smile

Bunbaker Sun 06-Oct-13 18:03:45

Isn't rhubarb past its best at this time of year? My mum used to stop picking rhubarb after the end of June.

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Sun 06-Oct-13 18:02:12

I made rhubarb and vanilla jam earlier this year which was gorgeous on scones.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/251611/rhubarb-and-vanilla-jam

Letticetheslug Sun 06-Oct-13 12:27:48

I just cut mine up into chunks and freeze it. Turns out well.

magpieC Sun 06-Oct-13 12:19:45

My favourite rhubarb recipe: http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/r/rhubarb_and_orange_cake_with_flaked_almonds.html

(And it freezes)

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sun 06-Oct-13 12:17:19

My mum makes an amazing compote with rhubarb & strawberries. Freezes brilliantly. In fact, most of it gets frozen then defrosted later to have with yogurt for breakfast. Even DH who thought he didn't like rhubarb loves it.

lucysmam Sun 06-Oct-13 12:14:06

ty, will head home to do that and the apples then smile

mikkii Sun 06-Oct-13 12:13:01

I would stew it first then freeze. Mixes really well with ripe bananas

lucysmam Sun 06-Oct-13 11:49:29

Help me out ....mil has given me more rhubarb from fil's allottment, more than I can use up in crumble for pudding.

Does it freeze ok as it is? Or should I do something with it before freezing?

ty smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now