Ive just bought some gnocchi from aldi..

(20 Posts)

I've never tasted it before, it's in a vacuum pack thing. What do I do with it? Have I messed up not buying fresh?

I'm always picking random things up in aldi grin

ginmakesitallok Wed 02-Oct-13 13:34:49

Shove it in some boiling salted water until it floats and serve with pasta sauce/ pesto

scampadoodle Wed 02-Oct-13 13:35:54

No, it's fine - it just has a longer shelf-life (before opening) than fresh, and it doesn't need to go in the fridge until you open it.

Just cook it as normal: into boiling water, cook around 2 mins or until they float to the surface.

HTH

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Wed 02-Oct-13 13:37:26

Gnocchi is usually vacuum packed, you'll be fine!

I do a bake which is nice, albeit lardy - cook gnocchi and mix with single cream and dolcelatte/similar blue cheese, plus cooked broccoli. Grate Parmesan on top and bake until browned.

EastwickWitch Wed 02-Oct-13 13:37:37

Someone told me that it's really nice fried. Haven't tried that yet though.

MadeOfStarDust Wed 02-Oct-13 13:39:25

Came on to say we fry it... in a garlic and herb butter... really tasty

I like the idea of a bake! Wonder if I could do a less lardy onewink (I'm trying to lose a bit of weight before xmas)

PlumpkinPie Wed 02-Oct-13 13:44:16

I bought it last week. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and throw in your gnocchi then scoop them out as they float to the top. Fry an onion and some garlic and chooped chorizo, add a splodge of tomato puree, a big splodge of passata and your gnocchi. Throw the lot into a baking dish, (add chilli flakes if you like heat) and top with grated parmesan and breadcrumbs - bake til bubbly and eat. Perfect comfort food.

PlumpkinPie Wed 02-Oct-13 13:45:22

That would be chop the chorizo rather than choop ithmm

PlumpkinPie Wed 02-Oct-13 13:45:54

oh and I sometimes add a splash of red wine to the chorizo/onion/garlic bit and then the tomatoes.

MadCap Wed 02-Oct-13 13:47:34

Nigella has a nice recipe of gnocchi in a cider and mustard sauce with pork chops

SupermansBigRedBottleOfSpirits Wed 02-Oct-13 13:52:42

I love gnocchi but can't pronounce it at all but no one else in the house does so I tend not to buy it. lucky buggers you are grin although plumpkins sounds delicious I may try to con them into eating that, depends on if dp notices the plumpness of it - that is usually the giveaway!

I love gnocchi fried, dump into boiling water at the same time heat a little oil in stir fry pan and the gnocchi floats drain immediately and throw into pan, fry until golden on both sides. Tis gorgeous smile

we chucked some in the trolley the other week in Aldi and it was solo lush we are about to buy a pile of it for the cupboard for quick meals. I completely recommend it!

ZombiesAteMyBigToe Wed 02-Oct-13 19:16:50

I put them in an oven dish with just a little oil for twenty minutes or so until they have crisped up a bit.

They are close enough to roast potatoes to satisfy the kids without all the mess and faff of actual roast potatoes. A bit like potato croquettes I suppose.

I've also used them instead of pasta for a tuna pasta bake (shove straight from packet in to dish with tin of tuna, onion etc and then cheese over the top.

ZombiesAteMyBigToe Wed 02-Oct-13 19:18:03

Forgot to add that I bung them straight from the packet if I am just baking them too, no precooking in this house (far far too lazy).

All these recipes sound yummy! Think ill be buying it more often!

IceCreamForCrow Thu 03-Oct-13 10:14:08

Make this bake It's lovely.

My annoying dc didn't like it <glareshmm> but ignore them honestly it's really yummy.

Oh I like the look of that! That's going on my list!!

TeaAndCakeOrDeath Thu 03-Oct-13 16:52:07

Place marking as I've bought the ingredients for Plumpkins bake and i don't want tks lose the recipe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now