Vegetarian dinnder party- no tomatoes or nightshades

(31 Posts)
hotair Mon 30-Sep-13 16:18:04

Right I have to throw a vegetarian dinner party, but I cannot eat tomatoes, potatoes, aubergines and soy sauce. I am also intolerant to nuts and can't eat anything too spicy without being poorly.
I have no idea what so ever where to start! It's also my first dinner party, so nothing too complicated please, (although I am a pretty accomplished cook.)
Any ideas gratefully received!

TeamJesse Thu 03-Oct-13 14:57:36

Smitten Kitchen's mushroom bourgignon looks good too.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 02-Oct-13 23:21:11

Egg and chips?

Just remembered a lovely Meryl Streep salad- watercress, avocado, segments of orange or pink grapefruit, use the juice saved during segmenting to make a dressing with oil of choice, sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds.

hotair Tue 01-Oct-13 10:57:13

cream and all dairy is fine!
I'm leaning towards roasted root veg and cauliflower with halloumi or melanie's veg tarte tatin.
I thought maybe these yottam ottolenghi beetroot fritters as a starter

nicename Tue 01-Oct-13 08:42:26

I love polenta when its baked then sliced and griddled. Any nice sauce on top is good. Is cream ok?

HuevosRancheros Tue 01-Oct-13 08:39:13

Following on from the Ottolenghi suggestion earlier, these stuffed onions are amazing. There is a small amount of tomato in there, but I think you could omit it with no problem.

If you can get hold of a copy of Plenty (from the library maybe?) I'm sure you could find something stunning that would suit you all smile

Michel Roux does a fabulous veg tarte tatin which has red onions and fennel as the star ingredients. There's also a chilli, but you could omit that. It looks very pretty, would work with a good green salad for a dinner party.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 30-Sep-13 21:26:39

>Isn't red pepper part of the nightshade family?
no, its in the capsicum family not solanums I think. But I'm sure the OP knows if she can eat it or not.

hotair Mon 30-Sep-13 19:53:32

Just realised I misspelt dinner- oh the shame! blush
Thank you all for your excellent suggestions!

DoItTooJulia Mon 30-Sep-13 18:16:55

Oh and Sainsbo does a cheap Parmesan substitute that is veggie.

DoItTooJulia Mon 30-Sep-13 18:16:16

this is amazing

In fact, I would check out Ottolenghi's recipes. Mejadra is awesome too.

shrinkingnora Mon 30-Sep-13 18:13:43

Parmesan is not veggie so careful if you do a risotto.

sleepyhead Mon 30-Sep-13 17:40:17

Just checked. All halloumi is vegetarian as it's not made with rennet.

sleepyhead Mon 30-Sep-13 17:38:50

You can get veggie halloumi. Don't know if it all is, but the stuff I got in Tesco recently said it was.

Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 17:35:36
Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 17:33:56

Butternut squash stuffed with cous cous and vegetables and some cumin/coriander/chilli?

Topped with veggie cheese?

Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 17:30:13

Ok.

Erm mushroom stroganoff if dairy isn't off the menu
Or mushroom risotto - use some dried porcini mushrooms and white wine to give it depth

Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 17:28:09

Isn't red pepper part of the nightshade family?

ErrolTheDragon Mon 30-Sep-13 16:45:35

Or the other thing that tastes and looks good in quiche is roasted red pepper ... could be your starter before something with those roast roots...

hotair Mon 30-Sep-13 16:39:25

veggie cheese only as the guests are pretty strict... I like the sound of the roast roots, maybe with a rocket salad, but can you get veggie haloumi?

hotair Mon 30-Sep-13 16:37:09

No patilla I'm not the veggie- me and dh are unrepentant meat eaters, but all four guests are very strict veggies so I think it would be a bit pointless to do two menus!

I want it to be a bit sophisticated, but not over the top. Not sure shepherds pie of macaroni are quite fancy enough but could be persuaded!

Is cheese allowable? Puy lentils with feta and red onion is one of my standbys.

A quinoa pilaff made with mushrooms and courgettes.

Roast roots with rosemary - carrot, squash, parsnip chunks baked in the oven with garlic and rosemary. Add cubes of haloumi if permissable.

Asparagus quiche.

tethersend Mon 30-Sep-13 16:31:58

Lentil shepherds pie with sweet potato mash?

tethersend Mon 30-Sep-13 16:31:11
Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 16:31:07

Out of interest are you the vegetarian? If its only ove person you might decide to do a veggie and non veggie option for ease?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now