Can I do anything with rubbish jam?

(24 Posts)
LapinDeBois Mon 30-Sep-13 22:24:10

Ok, well I made an upside down cake with it yesterday. Warmed up half a jar full, mixed it with two sliced eating apples, shoved it in a dish and put a 2-egg sponge mix on top. DS1 said it was the nicest pudding he'd ever eaten ever ever (and he didn't like the jam originally), so that was a result. Plus I have desiccated my own coconut in preparation for making a coconut jam sponge <smug emoticon>.

ravenAK Sun 29-Sep-13 00:37:10

My blackberry jam this year could be used to make Hi-Bounce balls.

It's OK in microwave 'steamed' puddings - I use Jamie Oliver's prune pudding recipe.

Liking the idea of compote for trifle, too...

louisea Sun 29-Sep-13 00:32:30

Can it be used for glazing a cake before icing?

steeking Wed 25-Sep-13 17:57:09

Have porridge for breakfast and use the jam to sweeten it.

Cooroo Wed 25-Sep-13 17:55:00

I never get that skin on jam dropped on a cold plate thing, so I tend to boil until I get bored! Second batch this year was really runny so I sighed deeply, poured it all back in the preserving pan and boiled it some more. Now it's a bit over-set but still yummy.

chocolatelime Wed 25-Sep-13 09:55:50

I made some Blackberry & Elderberry Jam this year & it tastes a bit tart because of the elderberries. I have decided to use it with port as a glaze for a leg of lamb (or 2!). Never waste jam, there will always be something you can use it for.

I use the bought shredded/desicated stuff

TeamEdward Mon 23-Sep-13 23:23:47

Fresh coconut might be a bit wet for a jam/sponge mix.

Sorry the kids ate the last of it todAy grin

TeamEdward Mon 23-Sep-13 23:22:37

minihaha
Did you use jam sugar (with pectin added) or granulated?
Did you use a sugar thermometer to ensure it reached setting point?

That said, I made blackberry & apple jelly (loads of natural pectin) and jam sugar, and the bloody stuff is still soft!

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 23-Sep-13 22:37:19

Whoops make

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 23-Sep-13 22:36:58

Me too caffeinedrip will you mark us some? Do you deliver? grin

ArtisanLentilWeaver Mon 23-Sep-13 22:35:47

Now I really want some jam and coconut sponge. envy

minihahawithafringe Mon 23-Sep-13 22:33:28

Okay. Help me....my blackberry jam hasn't set. I have more blackberries and some apples but I don't want to waste stuff if it's better to stop.

LapinDeBois Mon 23-Sep-13 22:28:39

Oh my god you are the queens of jam, thank you! Questions. Can I freeze jam tarts? (Why didn't I think of jam tarts?) And do I need desiccated and/or sweetened coconut for the sponge, or can I use fresh (I happen to have some fresh grated coconut in the freezer).

missinglalaland Mon 23-Sep-13 22:17:29

Blackberries must have a lot of natural pectin in them. One year a made a batch that was gummy bear - like in texture. I now only boil it for 4 minutes.
With the over set jam you have now, you could loosen it up with some brandy ( or whiskey or rum, etc.) And then use it as a compote in a trifle as suggested by Iwaswatching. Or layer it in little glasses with mrscapone cheese and biscuit crumbs.

PractialJoke Mon 23-Sep-13 22:11:11

Blackberry ripple ice cream?

TeamEdward Mon 23-Sep-13 22:11:06

Oh, just lost a long post. Pants.

jam tarts (warm and sieve jam first), crumble good idea too.
Try some of these - www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?keywords=blackberry+jam

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 23-Sep-13 22:10:56

Jam & coconut sponge - sounds delicious.

Put a layer in the bottom of an oven proof dish, sprinkle over some shredded coconut and top with sponge. Voila jam and coconut sponge. Serve with custard

Liara Mon 23-Sep-13 22:06:28

If you still want to have it as a jam, you could make an apple puree (unsweetened) and mix it with the jam. That should make it a bit less sweet and set.

A bit of lemon juice also cuts through excess sweetness quite nicely.

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 23-Sep-13 22:05:43

Mixing it with fruit for a trifle base?

Was going to say jam tarts too!

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Mon 23-Sep-13 22:04:40

Jam tarts?

LapinDeBois Mon 23-Sep-13 22:03:30

Buoyed by my success with my first ever batch of (blackcurrant) jam this year, I made a load of blackberry jam the other day, and it's pretty rubbish. I'm not sure what went wrong, but it's over-sweet and over-set. It's by no means inedible, just not all that nice. Is there anything I can do with it, other than either chucking it away or resigning myself to eating four jars of the stuff? DH suggested mixing it with apples in a crumble, which might work. Or any other ideas please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now