Can I do anything with rubbish jam?

(24 Posts)
LapinDeBois Mon 23-Sep-13 22:03:30

Buoyed by my success with my first ever batch of (blackcurrant) jam this year, I made a load of blackberry jam the other day, and it's pretty rubbish. I'm not sure what went wrong, but it's over-sweet and over-set. It's by no means inedible, just not all that nice. Is there anything I can do with it, other than either chucking it away or resigning myself to eating four jars of the stuff? DH suggested mixing it with apples in a crumble, which might work. Or any other ideas please?

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Mon 23-Sep-13 22:04:40

Jam tarts?

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 23-Sep-13 22:05:43

Mixing it with fruit for a trifle base?

Was going to say jam tarts too!

Liara Mon 23-Sep-13 22:06:28

If you still want to have it as a jam, you could make an apple puree (unsweetened) and mix it with the jam. That should make it a bit less sweet and set.

A bit of lemon juice also cuts through excess sweetness quite nicely.

Put a layer in the bottom of an oven proof dish, sprinkle over some shredded coconut and top with sponge. Voila jam and coconut sponge. Serve with custard

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 23-Sep-13 22:10:56

Jam & coconut sponge - sounds delicious.

TeamEdward Mon 23-Sep-13 22:11:06

Oh, just lost a long post. Pants.

jam tarts (warm and sieve jam first), crumble good idea too.
Try some of these - www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?keywords=blackberry+jam

PractialJoke Mon 23-Sep-13 22:11:11

Blackberry ripple ice cream?

missinglalaland Mon 23-Sep-13 22:17:29

Blackberries must have a lot of natural pectin in them. One year a made a batch that was gummy bear - like in texture. I now only boil it for 4 minutes.
With the over set jam you have now, you could loosen it up with some brandy ( or whiskey or rum, etc.) And then use it as a compote in a trifle as suggested by Iwaswatching. Or layer it in little glasses with mrscapone cheese and biscuit crumbs.

LapinDeBois Mon 23-Sep-13 22:28:39

Oh my god you are the queens of jam, thank you! Questions. Can I freeze jam tarts? (Why didn't I think of jam tarts?) And do I need desiccated and/or sweetened coconut for the sponge, or can I use fresh (I happen to have some fresh grated coconut in the freezer).

minihahawithafringe Mon 23-Sep-13 22:33:28

Okay. Help me....my blackberry jam hasn't set. I have more blackberries and some apples but I don't want to waste stuff if it's better to stop.

ArtisanLentilWeaver Mon 23-Sep-13 22:35:47

Now I really want some jam and coconut sponge. envy

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 23-Sep-13 22:36:58

Me too caffeinedrip will you mark us some? Do you deliver? grin

Iwaswatchingthat Mon 23-Sep-13 22:37:19

Whoops make

TeamEdward Mon 23-Sep-13 23:22:37

minihaha
Did you use jam sugar (with pectin added) or granulated?
Did you use a sugar thermometer to ensure it reached setting point?

That said, I made blackberry & apple jelly (loads of natural pectin) and jam sugar, and the bloody stuff is still soft!

Sorry the kids ate the last of it todAy grin

TeamEdward Mon 23-Sep-13 23:23:47

Fresh coconut might be a bit wet for a jam/sponge mix.

I use the bought shredded/desicated stuff

chocolatelime Wed 25-Sep-13 09:55:50

I made some Blackberry & Elderberry Jam this year & it tastes a bit tart because of the elderberries. I have decided to use it with port as a glaze for a leg of lamb (or 2!). Never waste jam, there will always be something you can use it for.

Cooroo Wed 25-Sep-13 17:55:00

I never get that skin on jam dropped on a cold plate thing, so I tend to boil until I get bored! Second batch this year was really runny so I sighed deeply, poured it all back in the preserving pan and boiled it some more. Now it's a bit over-set but still yummy.

steeking Wed 25-Sep-13 17:57:09

Have porridge for breakfast and use the jam to sweeten it.

louisea Sun 29-Sep-13 00:32:30

Can it be used for glazing a cake before icing?

ravenAK Sun 29-Sep-13 00:37:10

My blackberry jam this year could be used to make Hi-Bounce balls.

It's OK in microwave 'steamed' puddings - I use Jamie Oliver's prune pudding recipe.

Liking the idea of compote for trifle, too...

LapinDeBois Mon 30-Sep-13 22:24:10

Ok, well I made an upside down cake with it yesterday. Warmed up half a jar full, mixed it with two sliced eating apples, shoved it in a dish and put a 2-egg sponge mix on top. DS1 said it was the nicest pudding he'd ever eaten ever ever (and he didn't like the jam originally), so that was a result. Plus I have desiccated my own coconut in preparation for making a coconut jam sponge <smug emoticon>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now