Healthy after school snacks for Year6 child

(17 Posts)
louisea Sun 22-Sep-13 23:59:49

DD eats a lot of carbs when she gets home from school. E.g cheese toasties, pitta bread sandwiches with processed meat/cucumber, croissants. She also frequently makes her own fruit smoothies. I'm looking for suggestions for other lower carb snacks that she can have when she gets home from school as we often don't eat our evening meal until 7/7.30. I've stopped buying tea time products except for the odd treat as all the kids wolf them down (virtually inhaling as they are all so hungry. The older two are 14 year old boys). She likes sliced cheese but not cubed, hates celery, tomatoes, humous and other dips. Likes fruit, peanut butter and some nuts. We are Jewish so no pork products or seafood. It seems as though if we lower the carbs we're raising the fat. I've spent years trying to get this right but don't seem to have done a great job.

chocoluvva Mon 23-Sep-13 15:07:15

Fridge raiders perhaps?

Onion bhajis, pakora or samosas?

Sushi? (veggie)

Nut and seed bars?

ELR Mon 23-Sep-13 16:36:45

Rice cakes spread with peanut butter, home made oaty flapjacks, slices of cheese with pieces of apple and a few crackers or breadsticks. Add a tbs of oats to the smoothies.
Its quite difficult to cut carbs for growing hungry kids so best to swop the white carbs for whole grain, with nuts and seeds as they are more filling.

louisea Mon 23-Sep-13 17:51:18

Thanks. Any more? No on the Indian for DD but a definite yes for the DTs.

I might try and make something like the Fridge Raiders myself. I don't like buying processed meat though I do buy the occasional kosher sliced meats.

Chopstheduck Mon 23-Sep-13 17:53:43

popcorn, relatively low carbs. I make it in a pan and it's very popular when we have playdates around, to make a couple of huge bowls.

chocoluvva Tue 24-Sep-13 22:00:52

I occasionally sometimes have lentil soup ready for my DC.

goingtobefree Tue 24-Sep-13 22:07:40

Does your Dd have to make it herself
How about Spanish omelette with lots of vegetables in it?you can prepare in advance and she can warm it up in the microwave.
You could try spicing up tinned chick peas
Drain the chickpeas, give it a wash, warm it up in the microwave, add salt,spice it up as she prefers.
Tortilla wraps with humous, sautéed veg,cheese.

louisea Wed 25-Sep-13 11:22:18

Thanks for the ideas going. All of those except the chickpeas would work for the older two. DD won't touch any of that except for the tortilla & cheese. I'm going to sit down and have a chat with her to work out a list of things that she will eat. She is improving on a daily basis and is much less fussy than she used to be though there is some way to go.

There is also the aspect of kitchen tidiness. I'm all for letting her make her own snacks but OH the mess afterwards.

Takver Wed 25-Sep-13 12:29:11

Celery sticks with peanut butter down the middle (and raisins dotted in it too if you want). I think peanut butter is the work of the devil, but DD & DH assure me this is very good!

louisea Wed 25-Sep-13 18:59:51

She thinks that celery is the work if the devil. �� Peanut butter and raisins sounds interesting.

nextphase Wed 25-Sep-13 19:22:58

Peanut butter spread on apple slices
Boiled eggs?
Cheese slices and grapes
Mine love banana muffins I make with half the sugar, but not that low carb.
Avocado?

invicta Wed 25-Sep-13 19:28:21

Scrambled eggs,
Bread sticks
Dried fruit,
Jelly
Yoghurt

Can she just not have a piece of fruit?

Can't understand why she needs what is effectively akin to another meal between getting home and dinner?

shockers Wed 25-Sep-13 19:42:12

Beans on toast, hard boiled eggs, cold veggie sausages, porridge, slices of cold Spanish omelette ( a particular favourite in my house).

I understand OP... my two teens are growing like weeds and are constantly hungry. Fruit as an after school snack would not fill the gap sufficiently, although they eat plenty of fruit and veg with meals. They both do a lot of sport, so they need fuel.

louisea Wed 25-Sep-13 21:07:58

*Can she just not have a piece of fruit?

Can't understand why she needs what is effectively akin to another meal between getting home and dinner?*

There are days when she eats very little at lunch. The school hot lunches aren't great and the school doesn't allow packed lunches because they run a kosher kitchen. 3 days a week she has after school clubs (dance & gymnastics) and we often don't eat supper until 7.30. I would challenge anyone to go all day like that without an afternoon re-fueling. I don't want to give her a lot, just something that will keep the hunger at bay until later in the evening.

MilkRunningOutAgain Thu 26-Sep-13 10:56:11

I know exactly what you mean, DS is in yr 6 and has started going to after school club. By the time I pick him up at 5:45pm he is ravenous and if not presented with food to eat immediately is in a foul mood. Provided the food is provided he's fine, well, that is, no grumpier than usual. He does eat all his school lunch, but he eats it at mid-day, and it's too long to keep going until I can get him home and prepare supper. He is active and sporty, never keeps still, he needs the calories.

I will use some of the ideas on the thread, cheese and breadsticks, crackers, wraps, yogurt are all eatable without messing up the car too much.

I make a batch of muffins and put one in the car to defrost in the morning
, this also works. I usually do apple, oat and raisin muffins, they are not over sweet and DS loves them.

PigStack Thu 26-Sep-13 11:07:32

I make flapjacks with coconut oil instead of butter and lots of seeds and peanut butter. I have to cover them with dark chocolate so my dd will eat them but I feel the nutrition outweighs the chocolate/sugar aspect. She also has chopped up apple and plenty of water. Easy to prepare/eat and keeps her going til dinner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now