NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

What shall I do with my black pudding?

(35 Posts)

I've just got back from a long weekend in Scotland, and have brought with me a giant black pudding from a recommended butchers.

What are some exciting things I can do with it?

Mogz Wed 18-Sep-13 16:43:51

Pan fried black pudding with king scallops is my favourite way to eat the stuff, mmmm!

mawbroon Wed 18-Sep-13 16:49:49

Fry it up and put it in a roll with ketchup and serve with a big mug of tea grin

Is it Stornoway black pudding?

I did some tonight with scallops and spinach on champ.

Not Stornoway one per se, but from a butchers in Gairloch.

mawbroon Wed 18-Sep-13 20:36:51

Yum.

Gairloch is nice. Haven't been for years though as we always fear it will pish with rain the whole time and that there will be nothing for the kids to do except drive us mental!

piebald Wed 18-Sep-13 20:38:02

Black pudding and leek quiche

piebald Wed 18-Sep-13 20:38:21

Eckkkyyy Thump!

Stuff a chicken with it.

amistillsexy Wed 18-Sep-13 20:42:18

get some big field mushrooms, fry them cap-side down in butter, then turn over and put in a dish. Fry slices of the black pudding and the put on the gills of the mushrooms. Bake in the oven.
You can put things under and over the black pudding, like cherry tomatoes, bacon, breadcrumbs and stilton crumbled on top, etc etc, depending on your calorific needs/restrictions grin

LazyGaga Wed 18-Sep-13 20:44:21

Ahh my idea would be the same a mawbroon's but with broon sarss not ketchup wink. Less is more.

mrswalker13 Wed 18-Sep-13 20:45:00

Black pudding and beetroot salad: for each person you're serving, you need two slices of black pudding, four little sweet fired beetroot, half a standard sized pack of feta plus salad leaves (darker ones are best) and balsamic vinegar. Cook the black pudding slices then just roughly chop it, the beetroot and the feta, fling over the salad leaves & add a touch of balsamic to dress smile

LazyGaga Wed 18-Sep-13 20:56:25

Oooh that sounds delicious <updates shopping list for tomorrow>

Tinlegs Wed 18-Sep-13 20:58:42

A friend did the most delicious beef stew and then stirred chunks of black pudding through the stew at the end. It was amazing!

iklboo Wed 18-Sep-13 21:01:10

Black pudding & potato cake stacks with poached duck eggs.

ginmakesitallok Wed 18-Sep-13 21:03:51

Just fried in a roll with brown sauce, fabulous!

Mmmmm big mushrooms going on the shopping list!

mawbroon Thu 19-Sep-13 11:53:37

I met my pal for a cup of tea this morning and MelanieCheeks, I hold you fully responsible for my actions.

I HAD to have Black pudding on a roll with a nice pot of tea grin YUM

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 19-Sep-13 12:10:09

I love it pan fried with piccalilli. It's got me a few odd looks, but it's so good.

Poledra Thu 19-Sep-13 12:15:11

Mango chutney is a surprisingly good substitute for broon sauce on a black pudding sarnie.

JamInMyWellies Thu 19-Sep-13 12:20:15

Mix with sausage meat and make into a sausage roll. Yummy.

Tonight it's been mixed with some blue cheese, stuffed into big portobello mushroom caps, studded with pine nuts, and served alongside a selection of Tesco Tapas.

KoPo Mon 23-Sep-13 19:50:28

I like lamb chops topped with black pudding and a semi sweet cherry sauce. Serve it up with nice steamed veg and it goes down a treat.

HonkHonk Mon 23-Sep-13 20:14:55

Next time get white pudding.

I have a white pudding as well ;-)

mawbroon Mon 23-Sep-13 22:44:10

Not so keen on white pudding I must say, but it would do in a pudding emergency wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now