What can you just not being yourself to try???

(12 Posts)
PoppyAmex Wed 18-Sep-13 11:41:07

I'll try almost anything.

Love snails (we eat them with buttered toast and very cold beer) and never met a species of shellfish/molluscs I didn't like, but there's an Iberian traditional dish I can't stand:

Boiled fish head, the eyes being a particular delicacy (they're usually sucked). Tried that once, won't be repeating the experience.

JustBecauseICan Tue 17-Sep-13 06:26:01

Cheese strings.

I apparently used to steal tripe from my grandparent's plates as a toddler and still have some vague memory of it being quite nice. Am not about to retry though. (and will add pp's lists of brains, willies etc to that list)

I can do all seafood except when it's still alive and making a last bid for freedom. (the first time I bought some variety of mussel they ate my teatowel overnight) Dp is always coming home with things that are still waggling around and climbing up the sides of bags.

I tried horse once by accident. (dp told me afterwards) It was, as the ready-meal industry in the UK has since proved, rather beeflike.

My Dad used to breed rabbits which I was led to believe was chicken.

MrsPennyapple Tue 17-Sep-13 05:41:51

Oh, and insects. I don't care how nutty and crunchy and nutritious they are.

MrsPennyapple Tue 17-Sep-13 05:39:30

Black pudding
Brains
Any animal's willy.

Oooohhhh sadly I think balti pie would go down well with my DCs.

Didn't expect coleslaw to be mentioned and I cannot, even with your recommendations think about putting seafood that has a weird little spouting hole at one end and a sort of phallic look or the ears of a pig in my mouth.

Tongue. Just no. and snails, why would I eat any insecty thing that I can't stand to touch live?!

Otherwise I'm pretty ready to try anything.

Razor clams are actually really nice, once you get past their unfortunate appearance - they're sweet, like scallops and lobster are sweet (and best of all, they're free where I live!). I like pigs ears á la Hugh F-W - ie baked with a mustard rub - a bit like crackling. Snails are good too - but I'm with you on hearts, no particular reason (I like liver and kidneys) but just can't face eating heart. Nor eyes. Nor coleslaw (reminds me of vomit).

mrspremise Mon 16-Sep-13 21:14:25

I do NOT want to try a 'balti pie' (wtaf?). I saw some in a supermarket a while back and practically had nightmares! grin

mrspremise Mon 16-Sep-13 21:12:29

crisp roast or fried pig's ears are gorgeous! smile

Oooohhh yes snails there is another one.

Do people eat ears and arses?

earholes and arseholes of anything.
frogs legs
snails
cold soups

Am watching Hairy Bikers and so far not seen anything could eat.

Rabbit
Razor Clams (WTF Bleugh)
Clams, muscles, whelks, cockles and all that jazz.
Frogs legs.
Tripe
Brains and heart and all that mumble but will eat calves liver or kidney
Eyes
Trotters
Tongue

Think that's about it.

What about you guys?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now