NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Does anyone fancy joining me in a two week challenge to use what's in the cupboard and freezer?

(36 Posts)
SubliminalMassaging Tue 10-Sep-13 05:31:43

I must confess that for the most part this won't be too difficult for me. I always shop and cater for England, stick useable leftovers in the freezer, forget half the things I have lurking at the back of the cupboard or the bottom of the freezer, and drag another 20 carry bags home each week. hmm

I am running out of cupboard space, feeling a little guilty about waste (especially of fresh fruit and veg) and more than a little guilty about the money I spend on having stuff tons of storecupboard stuff I never get round to using.

I'm not insisting I/you buy nothing at all - just that I am going to try to plan menus for the next two weeks or so based around as many ingredients as possible that I know I already have.

Who's in?

Tonight I am going to make Martha Stewart's Farmhouse chowder here.

I have all of the ingredients except the swede so I will put some diced potato in instead. I do have the turnips though. I will also add a bit of leftover celery, and will chop and fry up the two rashers of streaky bacon I have in the fridge, and add that. I might top it with some small squares of ready made puff pastry I've had knocking around in the back of the freezer forever, so it's more of an unreconstructed chicken pie.

SubliminalMassaging Mon 16-Sep-13 11:45:11

Yes I think it will be crabcakes tonight!

greenhill Mon 16-Sep-13 12:02:32

This is such a good idea, I never use anything from the freezer apart from ice cream and green vegetables.

I shall make an inventory and return to the thread later on.

SubliminalMassaging Mon 16-Sep-13 18:37:57

Have had a monumentally busy and stressful day but luckily yesterday's dinner gave us enough leftovers to have it again tonight. Usually everyone moans if I give them the same thing two nights on the trot, so prefer to freeze the leftovers, but tonight I was grateful for an easy life. grin

Still some mashed potato left for crabcakes tomorrow.

frenchfancy Mon 16-Sep-13 19:17:05

Left over Vegas curry for us tonight. The kids had beans on toast. Tomorrow is pasta with a sauce I've got in the freezer. No bread for toast but I've got a baguette in the freezer that will do our breakfast.

I made some little turnover yesterday evening with left over pastry, a bit of martian and some apricot jam. They were a big hit.

frenchfancy Mon 16-Sep-13 19:18:42

Marzipan (stupid phone)

I forgot to defrost any of the things I intended. So we ended up with egg fried rice- but I still managed to use up a carrot, the last of a pack of long grain rice and the end of a frozen sweetcorn packet.
I am jealous of the crab cakes, I have two tons of crab, but no potatoes that can be mashed. I can sense an unnecessary shop coming on to get potatoesshock

SubliminalMassaging Tue 17-Sep-13 12:08:23

Right, I'm going out tonight but will cook for DH and DS. I will make some crab cakes with the leftover mash and a tin of crab, spring onions, etc and some salad. I am also just about to cook the lamb mix for the lamb murtabak thing, and make the curry sauce for it. then I'll put it in the fridge and make the dough mix for the sort of paratha thing it goes in tomorrow, and just warm the other stuff up.

Just been food shopping and bought loads of stuff, but mostly fresh fruit and veg which I was very low on, and bread, crisps for packed lunches etc. I did well at resisting the urge to buy loads of tins and random dinner ingredients. grin

SubliminalMassaging Wed 18-Sep-13 19:33:27

I was out last night but DH said the crab cakes were lovely. grin

Tonight I finally made the Lamb Murtaback with curry sauce. Very nice, and added some carrots and peas to the keema lamb mixture so I didn't need to do a separate veg dish. Have some left over which I imagine will be nice cold. They are a bit like an Asian Cornish pasty. grin

No idea about tomorrow yet, but I've gone from having no veg to loads so whatever it is, it needs to be veg heavy.

frenchfancy Thu 19-Sep-13 17:40:44

It is over 2 weeks now since we did a full food shop, and over a week since we did the quick - milk butter and fruit shop.

Last night was thai fish curry, with fish from the freezer, part of a butternut squash which has been hanging around for ages (last years harvest) and some rice. The kids turned up their noses but 2 of them liked it (DD2 is always a bit difficult anyway) i thought it was lovely and would definitely make it again.

Tonight is pot-luck. I defrosted 4 pots without labels. There is enough slow cooked lamb for the kids, so I'm cooking up some pasta to go with it (mixed shapes to use up what is in the cupboard). One of the other pots is veal marengo so me and DH with have that. Another pot is some leftover mushrooms and sauce from a chicken chasseur so I might mix that in with the veal. the last pot is still undefined - I think it is left over gravy from a stew but I'm not sure until it defrosts.

I really must label things when I put them in the freezer (that is a new thread I think)

SubliminalMassaging Fri 20-Sep-13 09:12:53

Ended up eating out last night, DS stayed home and ordered pizza.

Today I need to start doing something useful with all the veg I bought, before they start to deteriorate. Maybe a veg curry or the lovely aubergine and bacon gratin thing that I love. Not sure yet.

SubliminalMassaging Fri 20-Sep-13 09:14:44

Haha! I have pots of stuff like that - I'm convinced when I put it in there that I will remember exactly what it is three months later. Doesn't always work...hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now