NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Soup! It's soup season! Can I have your best soup recipes please?

(252 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 08-Sep-13 19:29:12

I have no blender or other contraption so all my soups are the kind with bits in. So....what have you got for me? grin

I can smell Autumn....she's there...it's time to think on!

I am particularly interested in vegetarian and vegan recipes but meat is good too! grin

Peel & roughly chop 3 sweet potatoes, 2 carrots and one onion. Cover with veg or chicken stock in big pan and simmer till veg is soft (about 30 mins). Cool slightly and blend till smooth. Add herbs (coriander or dill work best) and seasoning and bring back to simmer. Add a dollop of creme fraiche (although it's fine without, and healthier), and serve.

Maryz Sun 08-Sep-13 21:10:47

Sorry Neo, I'm going to be cheeky and not offer a recipe, but piggy-back on the thread to see if anyone has an actual recipe for butternut squash or sweet potato or red pepper based soups.

And I'm a useless cook, so need actual recipes, not just "oh I chuck in a bit of whatever and boil it up and it's yum". When I chuck in the contents of the fridge and a stock cube I end up throwing it out.

VaultFullOfTwizzlers Sun 08-Sep-13 21:11:32

I sometimes eat the pasta sauce I make as soup for lunch before freezing the rest. It's chunky but lovely.

I toast the garlic in the pan with oil or butter, add chopped onions, sweat it all with fresh Rosemary then add grated carrots and loads more lurpack

Passata or plum tomatoes, spoonful of sugar, balsamic vinegar to give it a kick and some frozen sweetcorn tipped in (I used to defrost it before adding it to the hot mixture - numpty that I am)

Open a packet of value mozzarella and pour in the flavoured water. Half in the soup to melt and the rest kept aside to rip up and add as chunks just before eating it.

NoelHeadbands Sun 08-Sep-13 21:11:35

Today I've made Broccoli, Savoy cabbage and Sprout soup grin

I know, yum yum eh??

But actually all blitzed up with a spoonful or so of cream and loads of salt and pepper, it's lovely. That's my work lunches for the week sorted

springlenner Sun 08-Sep-13 21:11:48

Butternut squash and sweetcorn. Soften a chopped onion in butter, add a bag of frozen butternut squash, few fistfuls of sweetcorn, add 1 litre of stock. Boil for 10 minutes; mash or blend and you're done. Yummy! Add cream if you like..

Metarie Sun 08-Sep-13 21:14:55

Green Veggy Power Soup , ignore the wanky name.

NoelHeadbands Sun 08-Sep-13 21:15:32

Maryz I halve a butternut squash and put in a roasting tray with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and chilli flakes. Roast until the squash is charred and soft.

I soften a chopped onion in butter, and then put into a blender with the squash (scooped out of the skin) and about 500ml of veg or chicken stock. Whizz.

Joopy Sun 08-Sep-13 21:17:17

I love this thread!! I love making soup. I made this www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/333614/red-lentil-chickpea-and-chilli-soup and it was easy and full of flavour

Maryz Sun 08-Sep-13 21:20:34

Oh, thank you Yippee, that sounds really easy lovely.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 08-Sep-13 21:20:54

Maryz cut and deseed the squash then roast till the flesh is tender, I rub on some sesame oil which adds a lovely nutty flavour but any oil will do. You just rub it on with your hands.

Gently fry some onions till softened. When the squash is tender you scoop it all out, I cut the skin of with a knife. Chop the flesh.

At this point you can add flavour to the onions if you want, I add garlic, chilli, dried cumin and coriander but you can leave it plain and its lovely too.

Add the flesh, top up with stock, simmer till tender then blend. If it's too thick just add more stock.

lucysmam Sun 08-Sep-13 21:22:37

placemark for tomorrow smile

Maryz Sun 08-Sep-13 21:22:55

And Noel smile

It seems that for most of you "take any veg, fry lightly, add chicken stock, season, simmer and blitz" seems to produce lovely soup envy

Or is it the "add cream/creme freche" that makes them?

Maryz Sun 08-Sep-13 21:24:55

x-posted - thanks lumpy. You roast the squash in it's skin, do you?

Wow, Joopy, does it really come out that green? ds2 would love to produce that in school (they now have the use of a microwave at lunchtime, so he's been experimenting with all sorts).

oinktopus Sun 08-Sep-13 21:30:20

joopy Weird coincidence... I was going to post the same link. I love that soup. There's nothing better when the nights are drawing in and the air is getting colder. And it's good for you too!

MrsOgg Sun 08-Sep-13 21:31:29

Lentil and bacon soup, it's lush!

Roughly chop about 200g of cooking bacon and fry off, add a chopped onion and chopped stick of celery, fry for five minutes. Add a chopped leek and 3 chopped carrots and about 200g of red lentils and add cold water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 50 minutes.

No need to blend. You can reduce the bacon and add in some hot dogs at the end (whole), but I prefer it with all bacon.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 08-Sep-13 21:33:02

Yeh, roast in the skin then scoop when it's cool enough. You can add any carrots you have too, it's a moveable feast.

I make pumpkin soup the same way but without the spices and half milk / stock. With the pumpkin soup I add small cubes off gruyere and a swirl of Creme fraiche which is lovely, google Delia Smiths pumpkin soup.

Maryz Sun 08-Sep-13 21:35:45

Right [thick emoticon]

When you all say "lentil" do you mean dried ones, from a packet? Or do you do something weird with soaking or some such?

recognises that there is a whole world of healthy veggie stuff out there that has escaped ingredient list

Maryz Sun 08-Sep-13 21:38:34

Wow.

Neo, thank you so much for this thread smile

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sun 08-Sep-13 21:43:44

Nigella's roasted butternut squash and sweet potato soup is the business. Don't bother with the blue cheese sauce, just finely grate a little Stilton over it - absolute heaven in a bowl.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 08-Sep-13 21:45:05

You can chuck lentils in from the packet but if you pre soak then it cuts down cooking time.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 08-Sep-13 21:46:44

I love the flavours of nigellas soup but I do think you need to get the skins off, or it's all a bit squeaky.

LovesBeingOnHoliday Sun 08-Sep-13 21:48:04

Spicy carrot soup, I do tend to chuck stuff in but basically bit of onion and garlic, maybe some cumin seeds and or some chilli fried off add carrots (chopped) cover with water and soften carrots. Top up with chicken stock and use a potato masher or blender, if you want it thinner add more stock. Season as required

northender Sun 08-Sep-13 21:55:43

I've made 2 soups today [polishes halo] grin. Both dead easy.
broccoli and stilton. Fry 1 chopped onion until soft, the add a couple of medium potatoes (cubed) and some veg stock. Simmer for 10 mins then ad a chopped up head of broccoli and simmer for another 3-4 mins. Add some crumbled stilton and then whizz up.
tomato. Fry onion and garlic until soft, then add tinned tomatoes or a combination of tinned and fresh, some cubed potato to help the texture and chicken or veg stock and simmer for 20-30 mins. Add a handful of basil leaves if you have them (or a dollop of pesto) and blitz
I'm a bit vague on quantities as I don't follow a recipe but they seem to work whatever.

soupmaker Sun 08-Sep-13 21:56:39

This is my type of thread!

My current favourite is minestrone.

Brown a small packet of pancetta cubes.

Add chopped onion, sliced leek, chopped celery, diced carrot and diced courgette, and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic.

Sweat for at least 15 minutes. Veg should not colour.

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, couple of bay leaves, and couple of litres or more of chicken or ham stock. Season with pepper and salt.

If you have it, add a Parmesan rind.

Bring to boil and add plenty shredded Savoy cabbage.

Simmer until veg is tender, add a couple of handfuls of small pasta shapes and a tin of cannelloni beans, and continue to simmer until pasta cooked.

Serve with a generous grating of fresh Parmesan cheese on top and loads of crusty bread.

soupmaker Sun 08-Sep-13 21:59:06

I mean cannellini beans, although other beans work just as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now