Cookery Book Club September - Falling Cloudberries by Tessa Kiros and any River Cafe book

(121 Posts)
Pantah630 Fri 30-Aug-13 11:29:10

Think Tiger must be away so thought I'd better get this up, ready and waiting as August is disappearing fast.

I vow to be more productive in September, I have Falling Cloudberries and a River Cafe book Easy, though not enamoured of it so will check out the library for Red or Blue book. Any recommendations from either book please.

The souvlaki recipe from FC is very good.

glorious Mon 23-Sep-13 01:49:01

Konnichiwa! Signing out for this month from Tokyo grin See you in October.

Pantah630 Mon 23-Sep-13 07:56:53

Have fun glorious

elr it's about half a full jar of pods, if you use the Bart ones. I had about a tsp left over as well but it grinds better with more in. Surprisingly the taste is not overpowering.

minimuffin Mon 23-Sep-13 17:03:09

Ooh Pantah I tried (well, DH did strictly speaking) the lamb with lemon & oregano from FC earlier in the summer and I thought it was bloody amazing. I'm not normally much of a lamb fan but we'd had some in Corfu a while back that was to die for and this was the closest thing to it that we've found. The chicken with oregano was good too.

mimolette Mon 23-Sep-13 21:20:53

We had the potato pancakes from Cloudberries tonight, with smoked salmon, sour cream and parsley.
They were a bit of a faf to make, what with pushing the potato through a seive, separating the eggs and whipping the whites. But the end result was much lighter and fluffier than any other potato pancakes I've made, so I would definitely recommend!
Might try without the sieving of potatoes next time and see if the egg whites still do the trick of fluffiness.

ELR Tue 24-Sep-13 17:43:05

Well finally made something!! I made the cardamom and cinnamon buns from FC quite nice although I think they would be better with bread flour also misread the recipe and only put 30g sugar as filling instead of 50g and they could of done with being a bit sweeter. But on the whole 7/10

ScienceRocks Tue 24-Sep-13 17:58:53

Mimolette, do you think a potato ricer would achieve the same effect as pushing them through a sieve?

mimolette Tue 24-Sep-13 20:49:59

Science, yes, I think it probably would but I don't own one (am not normally fussed by slightly lumpy mash!).

ScienceRocks Tue 24-Sep-13 21:47:42

I quite like slightly lumpy mash, it makes me feel it is made of real potatoes! I have a ricer for making gnocchi smile

LeonardoAcropolis Thu 26-Sep-13 10:32:45

Hello everyone, bit late adding this but last week I cooked the Pastitsio on page 165 in the Cyprus chapter - delicious! I halved the recipe and used turkey mince instead of pork and beef mix. It was very straightforward and i will definitely be cooking it again.

Pantah630 Thu 26-Sep-13 12:36:43

I love pastitsio and have the proper long tubes to make it at home. Will have to give her recipe a try. Thanks leonardo

The cinnamon buns went down very well this time, I need to make them again. Does anyone know how long you can keep a piece of fresh yeast in the fridge for? I still have most of the bloke the very nice man in Tescos bakery gave me.

Must look at the RC cookbook easy and rustle something up at the weekend. Don't think I've even looked at it this month yet.

Pantah630 Thu 26-Sep-13 12:43:52
HuevosRancheros Thu 26-Sep-13 13:58:42

Pantah, apparently you can freeze fresh yeast.....

mimolette Thu 26-Sep-13 17:06:27

We had the stuffed aubergines last night. I was a bit dubious as the recipe called for a lot less cooking time for the mince than I would normally do (eg for spag bog). But they turned out delicious. I found there was too much stuffing so also stuffed some peppers. Quite an easy cook ahead dish for guests too.

maniacbug Thu 26-Sep-13 17:45:51

Belated thanks to Islets for suggesting Ludi's Chicken. We had it last weekend, and it was very simple (8-yr-old DS1 did most of the work) and delicious, a perfect Sunday lunch. The lemony potatoes were very popular. Followed by apple cake with toffee topping (finally!), which I hadn't expected to be that exciting but was gorgeous still warm with double cream.

ELR Thu 26-Sep-13 17:59:08

Maniac I must make that cake it sounds delicious, just googled and it looks even nicer than I imagined my mouth is watering!! Def gonna make on the weekend!

ELR Fri 27-Sep-13 17:29:12

Apple cake in the oven and toffee sauce just about made, can't wait!!

ELR Fri 27-Sep-13 19:13:57

Well I had the cake and whilst it was ok it was not as nice as I thought it was going to be! Think I will use my own apple cake recipe in future and just top with toffee sauce.
Quite underwhelmed by all her recipes I have tried so far, whilst they are not bad they are just not mind blowing. I would say they are an average 6/10.

maniacbug Fri 27-Sep-13 19:46:45

ELR I think the end result (degree of satisfaction), as in so many other areas of life, depends to a certain extent on expectations: I thought it was going to be a bit boring so was pleasantly surprised, but I can see that if I'd been really looking forward to it I might have been disappointed, if you know what I mean... (I agree that it is not the nicest apple cake in the world; I prefer mine with a bit of spice and some raisins). Might be overthinking it though, am on my 2nd glass of wine waiting for DH to get home... So anyway, am done with September. More EGoR and Dan Lepard tomorrow, both of which I find considerably more inspiring and rewarding than FC. Still, glad I've cooked what I've cooked from it this month. See you all in October!

ELR Sun 29-Sep-13 20:03:08

Think you may be right maniac however wanted to add that we had friends for a casual dinner last night just made tapas and a big paella so we had the rest of the cake warmed up for pudding. I made a jug of toffee sauce (my own recipe)and it served warm with double cream and it was much more enjoyable than the day before and DH and friends loved it.

LovingKent Tue 01-Oct-13 08:03:13

Pantah Just came back to say Morrisons also sells fresh yeast. FIL found it in the cold section by the pastry. However his Morrisons is massive and when I looked in ours and Sainsburys neither sell it so maybe you need a huge one. So when your Tesco block runs out you could try there.

Pantah630 Tue 01-Oct-13 12:22:23

Thank you LK, we don't have a Morrisons here yet, let alone a big one so hopefully the Tesco bakery man will be on next time I need some ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now