a vegetarian coming to our bbq - please help with what to serve

(18 Posts)
countydurhamlass Fri 30-Aug-13 00:47:34

we are having a bbq at the weekend and one of our guests doesnt like meat, chicken or fish (doesnt like the texture). she also does not like quorn or meat substitutes.

i will be serving lettuce, cucumber, onion, tomato and peppers, so people can add to their burgers or have on the side and i will probably be makin some sort of flat bread, a tomato based pasta dish and potato wedges/miniture jacket spuds stuffed with cheese

has anyone got any ideas for anything else i can serve, my guest doesnt eat a lot and i dont want to buy lots of ingredients in case it gets wasted

prissyenglisharriviste Fri 30-Aug-13 00:55:24

Veggie kebabs with the peppers, onions, and tomato, and I would also serve corn on the cob from the grill as well. Everyone else can eat that too.

Unless you are me, of course. We hosted a BBQ last week and I realised an hour before that one of the guests was vegan. We served moose and elk...

RoadToTuapeka Fri 30-Aug-13 00:56:45

One standby that I like that non-veggies seem to like too, is aubergine sliced relatively thinly longwise, bbqd, and rolled up with a French soft cheese (forgotten the name sorry) just comes in small box, is wrapped in a foil, usually has garlic or herbs in it. Is in supermarkets next to cheese, cream cheese etc.

Vegetable skewers? Mushrooms, courgette, peppers, haloumi cheese cubes, can season with mixed herbs, oil, salt & pepper.

Haloumi slices on a BBQ go down pretty well generally, nice with Thai sweet chilli sauce.

Happy BBQing!

xalyssx Fri 30-Aug-13 01:05:05

Glamorgan sausages are great

Alfiecat Fri 30-Aug-13 01:11:23

Try a square feta cheese with a squirt of honey and some rosemary (fresh) on top wrapped in tin foil and then put on barbacue for a few minutes.

RoadToTuapeka Fri 30-Aug-13 10:16:07

Just remembered the cheese...Boursin, to go with the BBQ'd aubergine. The feta option sounds great, am going to try that

countydurhamlass Fri 30-Aug-13 15:48:46

thanks, there are some good ideas there. will definitely do the veggi skewers

exexpat Fri 30-Aug-13 15:54:05

If you do veggie kebabs, can I just say they will be much, much nicer if you marinate the veg first - chop everything into chunks and put in a bowl with soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, a dash of chili oil, or anything else you have to hand. Marinate for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.

Also, if they are going on he same barbecue as all the meat, it would be best to put them on some foil so they don't pick up all the meaty fat from sausages etc.

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Fri 30-Aug-13 15:57:36

Yes veggie skewers (with halloumi, yum) are simple and taste fab. Though to be honest I would have been overjoyed with salad, bread, pasta and cheesy potatoes anyway.

heidihole Fri 30-Aug-13 15:59:01

Garlic bread. Potato salad.

HairyPorter Fri 30-Aug-13 15:59:41

paneer skewers are really yummy! not as salty as halloumi and it sticks together really well on a bbq. marinade with waitrose tikka paste and some natural yogurt (tgether with veg like peppers, onions and tomatoes), then pop under grill or on bbq. Always a big hit with us.

mistlethrush Fri 30-Aug-13 16:03:14

Buy a disposable BBQ that is only for vege stuff (vege will really appreciate that). Portabella Mushrooms (2) with a little sliced garlic then some cheese, in the middle, wrapped in foil and left to cook slowly. Corn on the cob is a good suggestion. I do marinated tofu cubes on my vege kebabs and it always goes down well with meat eaters as well as veges.

keely79 Fri 30-Aug-13 16:03:23

Halloumi always good on the BBQ.

Veggie skewers - but for a bit of interest brush with a mixture of miso, mirin and sugar for a salty/sweet tang.

Big bowl of couscouse with chargrilled veggies and feta - would work for everyone.

Baba ganoush dip - aubergine chargrilled on the BBQ until soft, then flesh scooped out and mashed with finely chopped garlic (as much as you like) and tahini paste.

MaryKatharine Fri 30-Aug-13 16:04:14

Just be careful about putting food for a veggie on the BBQ. Our good friends that are veggie would not eat anything that had been cooked on the same BBQ as meat products so be prepared to use the grill.

How about some cheesy toast done on the grill or some garlic bread in the oven?

nickelbabe Fri 30-Aug-13 16:04:36

i don't like quorn or fake meat either.

I do get burgers from the supermarket, but not the ones that are meat substitute ones:
spicy bean burgers
lentil and spinach burgers

that kind of thing is nice and doesn't taste meaty at all

nickelbabe Fri 30-Aug-13 16:05:08

sorry, ti comes up with a general veggie food link. sad

nickelbabe Fri 30-Aug-13 16:05:33

they're in the LoveVeg range

mamij Fri 30-Aug-13 19:51:22

Sliced tomatoes, topped with basil and a slice of mozzarella. Drizzled with olive oil, and sprinkled with salt and pepper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now