NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

48 hours, 1000 posts consisting of FAST, CHEAP and GOOD, over here please.

(312 Posts)
HoneyDragon Tue 27-Aug-13 10:01:36

No smugginess, no social commentary or judginess.

I want EVERYONE'S go to, cheapest stand by meals that they use, on one cosmic, love in thread of sharing and nicety.

Lets help each other out with a bit of inspiration.

goodasitgets Wed 18-Sep-13 00:29:32

Has anyone mentioned corned beef hash? Actually my version is more corned beef stew grin but its good

Fry chopped onions (you don't want them brown, just cooked). Add peeled and chopped potatoes and carrots. Boiling water and oxo cube until the veg is covered and simmer until potatoes cooked. Add chopped corned beef and some bisto if you like, stir and simmer until it looks stew like grin

Not very technical, similar to mince and tatties but great with red cabbage and some buttered bread

mum2jakie Tue 17-Sep-13 17:39:47

Creamy chicken pasta

Cook pasta, fry chicken pieces and bacon (or cook in George Foreman.) Drain pasta and mix in half a small carton of single cream and half a Kallo stock cube (tastes nicer than other brands of stock cube and thickens the 'sauce'.) Mix everything together and serve.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 10-Sep-13 22:57:34

I had a really tasty leftovers lunch roast veg gratin today - some leftover roast aubergine/pepper/mushrooms, a few sliced baby plum toms, basil, crumbled up leftover stuffing, grated mozzarella and parmesan. Same tomorrow except no stuffing left alas - it added a certain je ne sais quoi grin.

Its always worth doing a bit more roast veg than you need, apart from this it can go in a panino with a some goat cheese or mozzaralla or form the basis of a quick pasta sauce.

chicken and lentil stew.

roast chicken thighs in oven until cooked. (olive oil etc)

make a base of carrot, onion and celery by chopping and frying. add tin of tomatoes. season as usual, and also balsemic or red wine vinegar, cried herbs (any) touch of sugar. cook down till unctious. (about same time as chicken. Stick in as many tins of cooked lentils (or cook some before). Add to chicken in oven. (loosen sauce if its too dry with some stock or water) roast for 15 mins. If you are feeling up to it make a bit of garlic mayo, loosened wit milk and drizzle over.

I promise you its cheap as chips, easy, and totally delicious.

Sticklebug Sun 08-Sep-13 21:19:39

Thinly slice potatoes, onions and chop up a little bacon. Alternate layers of potato and then onion and bacon. Finish with a potato layer. Pour over some veggy stock. Back in oven and serve with steamed cabbage. about 70p/head.

HepzibahFlurge Sun 08-Sep-13 21:09:01

Bacon pasta

fry some bacon
cook some pasta
mix togther with a spoon of wholegrain mustard

Can add veg if you like but most time I can't be bothered

Solasum Fri 06-Sep-13 13:58:21

Roast veg with sauce:

Whatever veg is lying around, potatoes in small chunks, peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes etc, drizzle with oil, and balsamic if any to hand; roast until basically done. Add cubed cheese if wished, anything that will melt quickly (surprise discovery: wensleydale worked well). Mix a bit of creme fraiche/sour cream with red pepper paste/pesto/tomato puree, pour over the veg and stir return to oven for a bit.

Serve with couscous or rice.

Solasum Fri 06-Sep-13 13:52:21

'Courgetty spaghetti'

Any pasta will do, but spaghetti is good, sorry for yet another pasta-based one ('fresh' or baked).

Grate lots of courgettes, dice an onion/leek, fry til soft. (Courgettes no longer really look like vegetables for any veg-refusers).

Meanwhile make white or cheese sauce, season with nutmeg/salt/pepper/mustard; and cook pasta.

Mix all together, pack densely into a dish and bake.

You can add ham at the bottom/chorizo/any sort of bacon etc as well.

MrsSpa Thu 05-Sep-13 21:37:19

Stir fry: cook noodles in saucepan. Stir fry a pack of basics stir fry veg (ready chopped). Add any or all of the following; basics smoked mackerel, peanut butter, coconut milk (I use about a fifth of a tin and freeze the rest in similar portions), soy sauce, smoked chipotle tabasco. Either mix the noodles into the veg or just serve veg on top of noodles (easier!)

Great thread!

MERLYPUSS Thu 05-Sep-13 14:27:13

Huevos rancheros and bread
or
Home made red ragu with manky veg and passata, add a tin of sardines in tomato sauce and 1/2 tub basic philly. Serve with pasta. I keep banging on about this but it is fab. And the kids cant pick the fish out as it breaks down.

WilsonFrickett Wed 04-Sep-13 23:48:04

Lentil burgers - believe it or not, this comes from a Lorraine Kelly baby weaning book. I'm all class.

Sweat an onion, add lentils, salt and garam masala. Boil - keep an eye on it, you want the lentils to be well cooked but the mix not to be too wet.

When the lentils are cooked, add some breadcrumbs* and stir in. You want a stiff mix. Roll into balls, flatten out and you have burgers. Lay on an oiled baking sheet to bake.

*breacrumbs. Do not buy breadcrumbs. Toast a couple of slices of bread (stale or otherwise) then blitz.

Cantdothisagain Wed 04-Sep-13 21:55:47

CMP, that's my standby too! I also sub smoked salmon for the bacon sometimes...

CMP69 Wed 04-Sep-13 20:22:21

My stand by when dh is out and ds in bed
Fry bacon onion garlic and any veg rattling about in the fridge add cooked pasta and creme fraiche or philly. Voila -tea! grin grin

needasilverlining Wed 04-Sep-13 13:30:58

Layered ON A TORTILLA and topped with another one, obviously. Duh.

needasilverlining Wed 04-Sep-13 13:30:11

Quesadillas were a big hit with my 6yo and 2yo last night: I drained and cooked a tin of kidney beans in passata and a pinch of cumin, mashed them, and then layered grated cheese, bean mix, tinned sweetcorn and more cheese, and dry fried both sides.

Tasty, quick, cheap and provided veg, dairy and protein. Thank you to the genius PP who suggested them smile

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Sep-13 17:23:37

Wonderful ideas guys! We're going to move this to food now.

my new favourite low carb jobby for me (as DP won't eat this much green stuff):

finely slice onion, mushrooms and a bit of bacon.
Fry in a pan, add some cinnamon (was meant to be nutmeg first time but i got the jars mixed up, and it's actually lush!)
While it's frying, wash and top/tail a courgette, half it lengthways, and then slice really thinly.
Add courgette to the pan for a few more minutes, until it's soft and floppy but not translucent.
Take off heat, stir in a spoon of philly and some pepper.
Serve.

takes about 10 mins, only one pan, and pretty cheep too.

LittleEsme Mon 02-Sep-13 20:32:20

Fry some pancetta (I get mine from aldi) until golden. Add in a load of chopped mushrooms, fry.
Cook some pasta - spag, linguini or tagliatelle.
Add cream to the pancetta and mushroom, let it mix.
Dollop it into the cooked pasta.
Eat and drool.

BornToFolk Mon 02-Sep-13 13:27:07

There are some great ideas on this thread!

I'm sure I've posted this recipe a thousand times before but it is fast, cheap and good (it's also nutritious and freezes well!) so here it is again

Spinach and Chickpea curry
Chop 1 onion and fry in oil, add a tablespoon of curry paste (could probably use curry powder/garam masala/your own spice blend), then add a tin of chickpeas and a tin of chopped toms and simmer for about 20 mins. Finally add a packet of spinach and stir until wilted. You can also use frozen spinach but I think fresh tastes nicer. Serve with rice, or it's also very good with warm naan bread.

ThursdayLast Mon 02-Sep-13 13:15:00

I had the macaroni cheese suggested on this thread for my tea on sat night.

It was lush smile

So thanks!

Soditall Mon 02-Sep-13 11:23:52

cold meats,j/potatoes and salad.

Chicken supreme works well with left over chicken from a roast.
Tin of chicken soup,splash of white wine,couple of sliced mushrooms,slice of ham diced,1/2 a small onion finely chopped,sprinkling of mixed herbs,squeeze of garlic puree or one garlic clove crushed,cooked chicken,black pepper to taste,simmer for 20 minutes.Serve with boiled rice and broccoli.

Pasta and vegetable bake boil pasta and veggies,whilst they're cooking pre-heat oven(if not a fan oven)make a cheese sauce.Put some butter into a sauce pan and melt,once melted remove from the heat and add some plain flour a little at a time and mix until it makes a paste,add some milk and return to heat,whisk constantly and keep adding milk until you have a smooth thick sauce,add mature cheese and black pepper,stir until cheese is melted(adding dijon mustard gives a nice edge to the flavor of the sauce)drain vegetables and pasta mix in with sauce so all equally covered then top with grated cheese and place into a hot oven for 20 minutes.Tastes great on it's own or with some crispy bacon on the side.

Homemade soup,Bologneise,Baked omlettes,Meatballs and pasta,Tuna and pasta bake,cottage pie.

I like basmati rice with smoked mackerel stir fried with red onions, boil the water while you're chopping the onions, chuck the rice in, fry the onions and drain the rice once it's boiled, leave it to go all fluffy while you tear up the mackerel and chuck it in with the onions to heat it up. You can add any veg you like - chuck peas or sweetcorn in with the rice to boil or peppers or chillies in with the onions - and wash it all down with chilled white wine, bliss.

Also like soured cream with smoked salmon on cheese and tomato flat bread, heat the bread, cut it and the salmon into bits and stick the salmon to the bread with the cream, not sure how quick that one is though.

smoothieooo Mon 02-Sep-13 11:09:28

I did one yesterday that doesn't fit the fast criteria (in that it was slow-cooked) but was cheap and bloody lovely! I was going out for the day with DC and just before I went I chopped potatoes and carrots and stuck them in the slow cooker under a cheap joint of beef (was a fiver) that I'd just browned. I added chicken stock, a splash of red wine, some mustard, mixed herbs and seasoning and left for 7 hours on low. I came home to melt in the mouth, slow roast beef and veg.

madmomma Sat 31-Aug-13 14:37:01

It's this kind of thread that makes me love mumsnet. Thanks Honeydragon Just off shopping to get some ingredients for these great easy recipes. Thanks everyone!

ilovebabytv Sat 31-Aug-13 14:34:56

Right now im making fritters, perhaps not very healthy but amazing as a treat lunch. Just sliced tatties dipped in batter (flour and water) and deep fried. Served on a roll for maximum pleasure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now