NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Products that will save you huge amounts of hassle in the kitchen

(56 Posts)
whendidyoulast Mon 26-Aug-13 12:05:00

Here:

www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263352376

www.mydorot.com/?CategoryID=27

Especially the garlic. No more smelly fingers and mouldering garlic in the fridge.

Wish I'd known about these years ago.

Anyone else with hassle saving products?

I've got a microwave rice cooker, which makes cooking rice so easy. In fact, I'd like to try to buy one for dd but have never seen them anywhere (mine was a present).

Little jars of chipotle paste - brilliant for adding a lovely, smokey taste to chillis.

Jars of ginger - I like these better than the little frozen cubes because the pieces are quite big, so don't just turn to mush.

mrspaddy Mon 26-Aug-13 16:35:58

My new discovery is magic bags... Little bags you throw pork chops etc. and spices in, bang in the oven ... Juicy, no fuss.

Also two minute rice and gnocchi for emergencies.

Would love the microwave rice cooker grin

mrspaddy Mon 26-Aug-13 16:37:21

Just had a look... Amazon do them.. Is the rice cooker the same as yours Remus?

Amazon - why didn't I think of that?! It looks similar to mine, but mine has fewer pieces.

Thank you. smile

I love the garlic cubes, nd always have them in my freezer. So much simpler than peeling and crushing the stuff!

mrspaddy Mon 26-Aug-13 17:02:24

You're very welcome. I am always lucky on amazon.. Pity postage can be high.

UnicornsPooGlitter Tue 27-Aug-13 13:48:15

Please someone say their MagiMix as I just forked out gazillions for one grin.

BrianButterfield Tue 27-Aug-13 13:50:22

M&S do bags of chopped, perfectly sauteed, frozen onions. Worth every penny.

Chubfuddler Tue 27-Aug-13 13:52:44

When I saw the thread title I was going to post frozen chopped onions and ready prepped garlic (although I use the very lazy stuff in a jar).

notnowImreading Tue 27-Aug-13 14:05:45

I've just bought a marvellous thing for storing half an avocado. It looks like the other half but has a dip for the stone and a little stretchy seat belt thing to hold the avocado in place. It stops the bit you haven't eaten going brown and manky as well as looking kitsch and lovely in and of itself.

Smoutebollen Tue 27-Aug-13 16:53:27

polypropylene chopping boards that go in the dishwasher

Bluecarrot Tue 27-Aug-13 17:07:43

Dorot garlic and chilli, frozen diced onions and pampered chef rice cooker for me too. The first three mean with an added carrot I have the makings of a comforting, easy, home made soup. Always cheers me up!

MissPlumBroughtALadder Tue 27-Aug-13 17:11:53

Thermomix. LIFE-CHANGING. Pricey but worth every penny.

Laquila Tue 27-Aug-13 17:13:21

Unicorns I love my Magimix! Most useful for quickly whizzing up raw veg for the base of a soup, then liquidizing it afterwards. Also for making hummous, pastry and scone dough.

I have a sort of enamelled metal yellow lemon squeezer thing that squishes half a lemon without letting the pips through, which is v useful if, like me, you use a lot of lemons.

Also, a teabag squeezer - bloody love this.

ColdfeetPinksocks Tue 27-Aug-13 17:16:22

Pampered Chef choppy thing:
http://www.pamperedchef.co.uk/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=1702&catId=90&parentCatId=90&outletSubCat=

Cost a fortune but I was at a party and there was wine. If it lasts ten years, it might pay for itself in money saved on frozen chopped onions...

ColdfeetPinksocks Tue 27-Aug-13 17:16:39
Parsnipcake Tue 27-Aug-13 17:19:40

Jars of grilled peppers - peppers are useful in loads of things and the oil is good for salad dressing. My other lifesaver is plates with a well in the middle from the pound shop. I can put any crap on them and it's deemed a ' picnic'.

LoveSewingBee Tue 27-Aug-13 20:33:16

Magimix food processor and ice cream maker (it makes a batch of ice cream in about 40 minutes, so when having people round, I have it making the ice cream whilst we are eating dinner. It is brilliant and home made ice cream tastes so much better.

Also bread maker - also use it to make pizza base, but never use it for baking the read as I like to shape it. Brilliant for kneading and rising though.

One of those small hand mixer/chopper things which you can use to puree sauce/soup whilst it is cooking on the hob.

Induction cooker - excellent control, fast, efficient, safe.

RnB Tue 27-Aug-13 20:38:15

Link to avocado thingy please?

OldRoan Tue 27-Aug-13 20:48:27

The grater attachment of the food processor. Grate cheese, spread on baking sheet to freeze then pop into a Tupperware in freezer, won't stick together and cheese won't go mouldy.

thereistheball Tue 27-Aug-13 21:01:06

Remus - where do you get your jars of chipotle paste from?

bonzo77 Tue 27-Aug-13 21:03:59

The Bacofoil refillable cling film dispenser. Basically saved me from kitchen hell.

Garlic purée in a tube.

FannyMcNally Tue 27-Aug-13 21:17:32

Krisk runner bean slicer. I was amazed to find out the other day that some people haven't got one.

trice Tue 27-Aug-13 21:42:36

At this time of year it has to be my apple lathe. Peels cores and chops so all the garden apples can be pie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now