Pasta sauce with no tomatoes, cheese or garlic

(27 Posts)
ArtOfficial Mon 05-Aug-13 18:47:49

All I can think of is Pesto but its for my sister who would like more of a creamy type sauce

Any ideas?

DfanjoUnchained Mon 05-Aug-13 18:48:33

I do a nice creamy mushroom with spinach sometimes?

Pesto has both cheese and garlic in it!

why not have a risotto instead?

ComtesseDeFrouFrou Mon 05-Aug-13 18:54:45

Fry some mushrooms (and pancetta or ham if you like) and then slosh in some single cream or creme fraiche.

Would work with chicken too.

Why no tomatoes, cheese or garlic? Those are the best bits!

Salmon or tuna and cream or creme fraiche?

DameFanny Mon 05-Aug-13 18:58:12

The Intolerant Gourmet does a cream cheese made from nuts which she uses for a dairy free carbonara - would that work?

Make a proper carbonara.

So fry pancetta, cook some pasta with peas. Beat two eggs plus an extra yolk. Mix pancetta, pasta, peas then add the eggs (keep heat very low), stirring but make sure eggs don't scramble.

Taffeta Mon 05-Aug-13 22:25:53

This is delish, a real family fave here

Mendi Mon 05-Aug-13 22:55:07

Crab linguine! Loads of recipes online but basically it's white crab meat, chilli (optional), parsley, lemon zest and olive oil. All onto the hot linguine as soon as it's cooked. Yummy! Can use a tin of white crab meat if on budget (though still about £4)

jennifersofia Mon 05-Aug-13 22:58:25

Roasted peppers, (or sauteed), pureed up with a bit of cream.

bellablot Mon 05-Aug-13 23:09:11

Real carbonara, not that fo cheese sauce stuff. Someone has already out the recipe. Plenty of olive oil! wink

ArtOfficial Tue 06-Aug-13 13:54:41

ooh lots of lovely ideas, thanks so much smile

KatoPotato Tue 06-Aug-13 13:56:13

real carbonara work best if you turn the heat off completely before adding the eggs.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 06-Aug-13 13:58:13

Smoked salmon and creme fraiche.

fedupofpoo Tue 06-Aug-13 14:03:24

Anchonvies melted in butter with toasted breadcrums.
Prawns and courgettes linguine
Salmon
:-)

Xiaoxiong Tue 06-Aug-13 14:08:29

Fresh corn sauteed in a little butter, basil and a dollop of ricotta (as long as in your sister's eyes that doesn't count as cheese)

(doubly nice with diced ripe tomatoes added too, if you're not making it for your sister!)

sharond101 Tue 06-Aug-13 22:26:43

We have the same problem here DH hates tomatoes and cheese but then i hate cream so no win situation!

It's really difficult isn't it?! I can tolerate passata but no other tomatoes, and dd1 doesn't like cheesy or creamy sauces.

Cook finely chopped onions and mushrooms together in a big pan. Add a big splash white wine. Add cream. Lots of fresh parsley. Eat with pasta. This would normally have garlic in but it should be okay without.

Roast some butternut squash with chunks of red onion, salt and pepper and some sage. Stir into pasta, with some cream.

Exhaustipated Thu 08-Aug-13 13:35:38

You could do a 'dry' puttanesca and leave out the garlic - so black olives, anchovies and capers fried off in olive oil, garnish with basil, stir into pasta. Could add some roasted peppers too.

Also plain yogurt, seasoning, fresh herbs stirred into pasta.

Exhaustipated Thu 08-Aug-13 13:36:07

Oooh, or sausage, onion and mustard with wholegrain pasta is yummy too.

Parmarella Thu 08-Aug-13 13:36:56

Goodness, those fussy eaters!

That's useful.

I don't deliberately set out to be fussy, but tinned tomatoes make my flash creep, and so do cooked fresh tomatoes. I'm sure if I was in a zombie apocalypse, or if Captain Tripps struck and I was a survivor, I'd have to learn to cope - but until then I'd rather avoid them.

Exhaustipated Thu 08-Aug-13 14:11:39

Nigel Slater recipe for the above here

No tomatoes garlic or cheese in sight smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now