NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Cookery book club - August - Short and Sweet by Dan Lepard and Every Grain of Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop

(223 Posts)
Wearytiger Mon 29-Jul-13 17:59:15

Welcome to the Mumsnet cookery bookclub! Each month we choose two cookery books. We cook a minimum of two recipes each - you choose the recipe, they just have to be ones you have never cooked before- which works out at four new recipes each month.Then we chat about them!

For July our books were:
- Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall Veg Every Day
- Madhur Jaffrey Ultimate Curry Bible AND / OR madhur Jaffrey's Curry Easy AND / OR Hairy Bikers' Great Curries
And we posted here.

For August, our books are:
- Fuchsia Dunlop Every Grain of Rice
- Dan Lepard Short and Sweet

For September our books will be:
- Tessa Kiros Falling Cloudberries
- any book from the River Cafe books

We will always try to pick at least one book with recipes available on the Internet, and local libraries are great for cookbooks if you can order in advance. We pick books three months ahead so will be choosing October's books this month.

HuevosRancheros Mon 29-Jul-13 18:07:47

Marking my place!
Such pretty pretty books grin

Er- wasn't it the river cafe books? I have the river cottage books too, but just to be sure, which is itsmile ?

Nolda Mon 29-Jul-13 18:23:12

Short & Sweet has arrived and DD and I have been looking through it together. Yummy, can't wait for August!

HuevosRancheros Mon 29-Jul-13 18:23:32

Pregnant, you are so on the ball grin
Completely missed that!

Wearytiger Mon 29-Jul-13 19:17:59

Nooooo! I was typing while fending off a three year old! It is river cafe. I will see if mumsnet can change it for me...

Wearytiger

Nooooo! I was typing while fending off a three year old! It is river cafe. I will see if mumsnet can change it for me...

Done. Shh. Don't shout about it.
Happy cooking everyone.

Wearytiger Mon 29-Jul-13 19:42:42

Ok everyone nothing to see here, move along thank you Olivia!

PeteCampbellsRecedingHairline Mon 29-Jul-13 20:03:54

Mmmmmmm.... Cake.....

Nice name change Tiger.wink

Wearytiger Mon 29-Jul-13 20:13:07

Thank you Pete. See earlier comment re three year old!

PeteCampbellsRecedingHairline Mon 29-Jul-13 20:20:33

It does get better.

when they start school.

Pantah630 Mon 29-Jul-13 20:21:48

Signing in, well caught pregnant easily done tiger HFW worked at River Cafe grin

ELR Mon 29-Jul-13 20:27:26

Marking place and hoping for a better effort from myself in August!

Wearytiger Mon 29-Jul-13 20:40:41

Pete, my mum says it gets better when they leave school

Forgetfulmog Mon 29-Jul-13 20:43:06

Ooh can I join please? Love baking & cooking & I already have the Tessa Kiros book ready for next month. I think her books are amazing & her recipes always work.

Ill have to check out my library for this months cookbooks.

Exciting!! smile

ScienceRocks Mon 29-Jul-13 20:49:34

Thanks tiger (nice name change btw).

I have already started on dan Lepard, with vanilla cupcakes last week and walnut bread at the weekend. Both lovely. I used rose wine instead of red for the bread so it was a rather fetching pink hue instead of purple. I also used walnut oil instead of olive oil and cut down on the walnut quantity slightly due to a shortage at chez science.

Parsnipcake Mon 29-Jul-13 21:15:25

Just made the chocolate mint cookies from Dan. My autistic 12 year old weighed every one to the 15g suggestion which was painful. The biscuits and filling are delicious. I dyed the filling green to make it mintier smile

Every grain of rice looks very daunting. Pretty but haven't found much that the family will go for.

Wearytiger Mon 29-Jul-13 22:07:45

I made the carrot pistachio and tahini cake on the weekend. To be honest I didn't love the taste and my dd plaintively asked for 'another cake Mummy. Not that one.' But my four friends absolutely loved it and ate two large slices each. Technique wise I have to give it ten out of ten as well, I followed the instructions pretty strictly and it produced a beautiful high rise cake with lovely buttercream. The only change I made was to divide the cake into two cake tins not three as I don't have three 20cm cake tins (really, I don't think many people do, I thought that was a bit silly). I cooked it for five minutes more to compensate.

So overall I think it's a love it or hate it kind of cake and worth a try if you want a change from traditional carrot cake. Although I wouldn't personally make it again it made me really hopeful for the rest of the book.

Wearytiger Mon 29-Jul-13 22:09:03

Hi forgetfulmog!

glorious Tue 30-Jul-13 00:05:12

Hello all, excited about August books. I'll flick through Every Grain and make some recommendations.

bakerofcakes Tue 30-Jul-13 07:15:01

Hi, I'd love to join in this month. I have been lurking for weeks, but haven't had the right books. I managed to get Dan Lepard's Short and Sweet from the library, and have two weeks off work, so hopefully will have chance to try a few things.

HuevosRancheros Tue 30-Jul-13 17:12:38

Can I just say I love Fuchsia Dunlop already, purely for introducing me to the word 'mouthfeel'. Fab! smile
Will go through both books tomorrow and give you all my valuable opinion wink of what I have made
I would say that I think Dan's use of salt is quite high, even for my taste. And it's not possible to add salt at the end of a bread recipe sad

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Tue 30-Jul-13 19:55:47

Hello!!! Can I join in???

I have been an intermittent MN lurker, but have just settled into a new flat so finally having my own kitchen and able to build up a storecupboard for the first time in years, am very excited to get cooking!

I ordered Fuschia Dunlop but got it delivered to work and then stupidly left it there, doh, so I'll pick it up on Thursday. I can't do Dan Lepard as I'm both gluten-free and on a health kick at the moment sad but I will happily drool over everyone else's descriptions!!!

Forgetfulmog Tue 30-Jul-13 20:37:23

Oneday - there are gluten-free & healthy recipes in the Dan Lepard book if you do want to give it a go smile

Got Short & Sweet out of the library today & omg have just been drooling over the recipes! I love his writing style too, in particular the description of Brioche grin

Wearytiger Tue 30-Jul-13 20:44:32

Hi one day, glad that you're joining us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now