What to do with 12 over-ripe bananas?

(32 Posts)
Cucumberscarecrow Mon 22-Jul-13 22:26:19

We bought way too many bananas and they over-ripened really fast in the heat. None of us like over-ripe bananas and I can't be bothered to make banana bread (besides, most recipes only suggest you use two or three bananas). Anyone got any suggestions?

LiveItUp Wed 24-Jul-13 11:24:01

Last night I tried the yoghurt smoothie. Really good, and a huge hit with the DCs. I used the following:

3 x frozen bananas
200ml (approx) natural greek yoghurt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
squirt of golden syrup (I would have used runny honey but didn't have any)

Whooshed it all up in the mixer and got a soft scoop consistency.
Put into 3 x bowls, topped with a few sprinkles. Happy DC's grin

ResNulis Wed 24-Jul-13 11:27:24

Trot out to buy an air-drier, and make banana chips.

<<wonders why MN, of all places, doesn't have a tongue in cheek icon>>

Ineedanewone Wed 24-Jul-13 21:53:32

A bit late to add, but try baking peeled bananas with a sprinkling of brown sugar, a dash or two of rum, some raisins, a knob of butter and ground ginger or mixed spice? About 10 mins in a hot oven, and may need a squirt of lemon or lime juice at the end, plus vanilla ice cream to serve.

confusedofengland Fri 26-Jul-13 09:32:37

If we have mushy bananas I just pop them in the blender with some nice cold milk to make a healthy milkshake. DC getting one of their 5 a day, but they think they're getting a naughty treat!

thereistheball Sat 27-Jul-13 07:36:43

What icecubed said (ie freeze then liquidise with greek yoghurt for instant ice-cream). Serve with chopped nuts and a drizzle of maple syrup for breakfast. I have never known a child refuse ice-cream for breakfast.

HuevosRancheros Sat 27-Jul-13 07:52:32

Look what Smitten Kitchen has just posted! Banana, Nutella and Pistachio ice lollies smile

Breakfast quesadillas! Mashed banana and peanut butter in a wrap and dry fried...DC love this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now