What would you do with Kohl Rabi?

(23 Posts)
Drladybird Fri 26-Jul-13 12:47:25

What about Halloumi and Kohlrabi Fritters?

kohlrabi curry- now that's a nice idea Moog

Witt Fri 26-Jul-13 08:42:18

We grew some last year and used it to make coleslaw, lovely!

Wyfee Fri 26-Jul-13 07:00:45

Chop into thin slices. Add olive oil, lemon juice, chopped flat-leaf parsley and a tiny bit of salt. It makes a gorgeous crunchy salad.

SirDoris Fri 26-Jul-13 06:51:44

Make coleslaw with it (kohl-slaw). Yummy.

bruffin England Fri 26-Jul-13 06:34:41

I have only ever eaten it raw. Realised I haven't had it for probably 30 years

Longdistance Fri 26-Jul-13 06:26:11

My mum used to make a stew with it, also adding potatoes.

She also put it in soups.

She's Hungarian, and we had kohl rabi quite often. I love it, and think its an underrated vegetable.

snoworneahva Fri 26-Jul-13 06:12:45

Peel it and eat - it tastes and has a similar texture to the stem of a broccoli - the best bit IMO.

MoogDroog Fri 26-Jul-13 00:02:35

I always turn it into a curry. It's bloody lovely!

Janek Mon 22-Jul-13 19:15:41

Me too nemonemo - the white sauce was some kind of knorr packet stuff that you added water to, i had to improvise when i got home! They had a packet of helle sosse and a packet of dunkle sosse - not sure what they used that for...

Nemanemo Mon 22-Jul-13 10:55:27

I first came across kohl rabi as an au pair in Germany 40 years ago, when I was asked to do the white sauce thing and feed it to my two year old charge for lunch. She loved it.

Janek Mon 22-Jul-13 10:50:37

I too serve it with a peppery 'white' sauce, only i use the cooking water/stock instead of milk iyswim.

Drladybird Mon 22-Jul-13 10:36:57

I've also had them arrive in the veggie box and wasn't sure what to do. I used the tops in a quiche (with some ricotta- was yummy) and then I made some halloumi and kohl rabi fritters which were surprisingly nice. I'm hoping to post the recipe later this week here: Broccoli and Rice Cakes blog

Takver Sun 21-Jul-13 22:24:39

YY to cut it into sticks & eat raw, (fending off dd with one hand)

Peel, cut into thin slices / sticks & stir fry with carrot & some greens eg pak choi, add some soy sauce once cooked & eat with noodles.

Add to winter soups (obviously not helpful right now!)

Cantdothisagain Sun 21-Jul-13 22:13:12

There's a good recipe on Abel and Cole I think for kolhrabi cut into sticks, braised in garlic and stock and then Parmesan added-on phone and can't link but do google it; it's delicious. I've also tried a coleslaw with it but prefer the recipe above.

NigellaEllaElla Sun 21-Jul-13 21:35:55

Just saw Bleiker and it should be Blimey! Thanks for all the tips.

I just chop it up and eat it. It's lovely just raw.

It's good julienned and in a salad too.

BonaDea Sun 21-Jul-13 21:13:56

I did the H F-W recipe in his 'veg' book last week when I got one in my box! It was a kr and goats cheese salad with thyme and a simple dressing. Very nice it was too!

NigellaEllaElla Sun 21-Jul-13 21:12:46

Bleiker! That was quick. Loving the compost idea Jam

Parmarella Sun 21-Jul-13 21:12:08

Peel and cutinto cubes. Boil and serve with thin creamy whitesauce and plenty of pepper and some nutmeg.

That is how my mum always cooks it. Tis nice.

SolomanDaisy Sun 21-Jul-13 21:10:00

Boil and mash it like Swede or have a salad with spring onions, soy sauce etc..

JamNan Sun 21-Jul-13 21:09:27

compost it grin

H F-W has got some nice ideas

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 21-Jul-13 21:06:53

Feed it to Big & Small? <Cbeebies characters for those without pre-schoolers, and the only time I've heard of it previously>

NigellaEllaElla Sun 21-Jul-13 21:06:08

Got some coming in this weeks veg box and I'm stumped!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now