NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

how do you pronounce chipotle?

(15 Posts)

I know I should get a life but this really bugs me!
I pronounce it chi-pot-all.
americans pronounce it chee-pot-lay.
who is correct?

PollyPlummer Wed 17-Jul-13 08:06:11

I say chip ol tay not too sure if thats right though

Trills Wed 17-Jul-13 08:08:14

"lay" at the end.

Chi
(like "chip" but without the P, not the eee sound of chee)
pot
(emphasis on this syllable)
lay

ThatPoshBird Wed 17-Jul-13 08:08:26

You can listen to the correct pronunciation here:
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chipotle

It's a Mexican Spanish word - so I would go with the Spanish pronunciation. That said - not all Americans pronounce Spanish words correctly. ;)

I say chip-o-lay. The t just sounds wrong. I suspect this isn't correct. grin

Trills Wed 17-Jul-13 08:29:11

The question was "how do you pronounce chipotle?" so I answered grin

MrsHowardRoark Wed 17-Jul-13 08:29:13

I say chip-oat-lay but I'm not sure if that's right and this word has always slightly irked me too.

Erato Wed 17-Jul-13 08:37:20

If I'm trying to pronounce it right I say chi-poh-tlay. Most of the time at home I say chip-ot-all though because I think it sounds funnier... Either way it tastes good.

I don't get too hung up on correct pronunciation of things like this, because to pronounce it truly correctly you have to temporarily adopt a different accent therefore sounding a bit like a wanker.

toasterstrudel Wed 17-Jul-13 08:41:47

Chip-oat-lay !

toasterstrudel Wed 17-Jul-13 08:44:43

Oops posted too soon There's a chain restaurant in California and that's how they pronounce it - I'd imagine this is accurate only because of the large Mexican population there / the prevalence of Mexican food - but I may be wrong!

multitask Wed 17-Jul-13 08:50:54

I agree with erato and just tend to say things how I read them.
sometimes people saying the correct pronunciation in the correct accent always sounds a bit pretentious to me.
I know a guy who pronounces chorizo choreetho in a Spanish accent and he always sounds like a bit of a knob.smile

JamNan Wed 17-Jul-13 20:11:09

chip-oat-lay

CunningAtBothEnds Wed 17-Jul-13 20:50:32

Chee-polll-tay here

FairyThunderthighs Wed 17-Jul-13 20:59:56

Blonde moment (not bad considering I currently have pink hair) I always read it as "chi-POE-tle"! It' s not a word I have ever heard spoken out loud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now