Raw salmon for sushi

(14 Posts)

Ask the fishmonger - if they look blank when you ask if it fresh enough for sushi, find a different fishmonger. Monkfish is good too.. (and you only need a little bit)

forevergreek Thu 18-Jul-13 13:34:16

We usually just buy a piece of ginger and pickle ourself. A large piece is about 70p and add vinigar. Lasts forever

WilsonFrickett Thu 18-Jul-13 13:33:19

Waitrose sells ginger and wasabi. But it will probably be cheaper in a Chinese supermarket, if you have one nearby.

looseleaf Thu 18-Jul-13 13:27:15

Have you found a supermarket that sells pickled ginger?

I particularly enjoyed my salmon (from a fishmonger) and ate a huge slice cut up finely with horseradish I had in the fridge! But think I need wasabi and ginger next

Pantah630 Thu 18-Jul-13 11:50:00

Going to give this a go too smile

SilverSixpence Tue 16-Jul-13 20:17:49

We had salmon nigiri yesterday and it was easy and delicious!

looseleaf Tue 16-Jul-13 14:50:19

Thanks wowoo.i really am disproportionately excited about this!! I don't know what it is about raw fish but I can't get enough and I didn't realise it didn't have to be an expensive habit eg at Yo Sushi

forevergreek Tue 16-Jul-13 14:30:55

Oh and I give it to our toddlers also and they seem fine! I did ask when babies if I could give raw to a fishmonger in Waitrose and he said it was fine and just eat fresh as others have mentioned.

They have easy baby chopsticks too!

WowOoo Colombia Tue 16-Jul-13 13:47:36

I get mine from either Waitrose or Sainsbury's.

They sometimes have gone to the back to get the very freshest out for me, after I've told them it's for sushi.

We've had lots of raw salmon and tuna and I've never been ill from it.
Enjoy!

looseleaf Tue 16-Jul-13 13:45:56

forevergreek I'm so pleased to hear that as going to try. I have sushi with salmon whenever I can as a treat but really craving more. Now that's an easy lunch!

WilsonFrickett Tue 16-Jul-13 13:41:07

It doesn't have to be special grade but it does have to be super-fresh. If you have a good fishmonger - with a high turnover - then you will be OK, but tell them you're eating it raw. If you have any Japanese restaurants in your town, ask them where they get their fish and go there. I live in Edinburgh and all the sushi joints get their fish from the one place.

forevergreek Mon 15-Jul-13 18:15:08

We eat raw tuna, salmon and seabass from Waitrose... Never occurred to me not too

I eat supermarket salmon pink in the middle, not sure I'd chance it raw, but if you tell your fishmonger you want to eat it raw they might be able to get you sushi grade?
Mind you, I ate oysters from Morrisons last week, well oyster, I couldn't get the other one open!

SilverSixpence Mon 15-Jul-13 15:05:38

Can I use salmon from the fishmonger or does it need to be special sushi grade salmon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now