NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Can I part-bake jacket potatoes and freeze them?

(10 Posts)
MegBusset Sun 14-Jul-13 17:13:17

My DC have recently decided they like jacket potatoes, but I don't have time to bake them in the oven after school, and microwaved jackets are minging. I have been buying McCain's frozen jackets which have been part-baked and just need 30 mins in the oven, can I do this myself from scratch? And if so how long do bake them for each time?

RobotBananas Sun 14-Jul-13 17:16:14

I'd part microwave, then in the oven for half an hour. The shop ones are grim.

C0smos Sun 14-Jul-13 17:16:58

Don't know but I often do my spuds in the micro for 4 or 5 mins and then put them in the oven for 30 mins and they taste just fine so you could try that.

CMOTDibbler Sun 14-Jul-13 17:32:17

Yes, you can bake them then freeze and then heat in the oven, or just microwave and a quick finish in the oven - the texture stays the same

MegBusset Sun 14-Jul-13 17:37:48

Hmm, I will have to try the micro-then-bake method again, I have tried it before but the skins went all soggy and didn't crisp up again.

CMOT would you bake totally then freeze? or part-bake?

I roll them in a little bit of vegetable oil after microwaving and before putting in the oven - they crisp up really nicely.

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Jul-13 17:56:51

Cut them in half and they cook in the oven in 30 mins.

Pascha Sun 14-Jul-13 17:59:05

Interesting idea. I might try ovening them for half an hour and freezing. I don't own a microwave so I rarely bother with a jacket spud because it takes so long.

Maybe I will have a go this week.

RobotBananas Sun 14-Jul-13 18:35:02

Don't microwave them for too long, or they will go v soggy. Do it until still slightly hard in the middle, then shove in the oven.

If you put a metal skewer through them theyll cook through faster too

Potterer Tue 16-Jul-13 19:50:24

We cheat and buy ready baked ones, so they are oven baked then frozen and we microwave them for 7-8 minutes. They do taste like they have been cooked in an oven.

But we buy them from Makro which is a wholesalers, but relatively easy to get a trade card for.

this is what we buy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now