Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Picnic food for young children (and me!) - ideas please

(5 Posts)
Murtette Thu 11-Jul-13 22:31:22

The sunshine means that most days this week we've gone straight from pre-school to the park or farm or somewhere similar and had a picnic lunch before spending the afternoon there. I am rapidly running out of ideas and today's picnic was exactly the same as Monday's (cheese sandwiches for DD; ham for me; a few crisps each; pepper, cucumber & carrot sticks; fruit). I am a competent cook & have cool bags, flasks etc so feel as though I should be more adventurous. I'd prefer stuff which can be eaten with fingers as we're often on a rug on the grass rather than at a picnic table & 13mth DS likes to eat what we're eating.
So, what can I give them? I'd like it to be healthy but don't mind the odd treat (hence the crisps today - am conscious that DD seems to have had ice cream most afternoons this week tho) and also needs to be filling as the park or farm is often a couple of hour stop gap on the way to ballet or gymnastics or something else energetic.
Please inspire me!

PourquoiPas Thu 11-Jul-13 22:44:22

I am a big fan of mini frittatas, I use silicone fairy cake cases, four eggs and then random veg/meat/cheeses, today was feta courgette and mint.

Toasted pitta bread and dips is nice.

Roast veg and chicken in wraps.

sashh Fri 12-Jul-13 04:04:18

cooked new potatoes, cherry tomatoes, chunks of cheese.

Mini quiche style thingies, basically make pastry and put in a tine like you would for jam tarts, Beat an egg and mix with grated cheese and if you like ham, season and bake for 10-15 mins.

actually you could do half savory and half jam.

snoworneahva Fri 12-Jul-13 06:49:47

quiche
pizza slices
hummus and pitta/veg
spanakopites (spinach and feta)
green hummus (broad beans and peas instead of chick peas)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now