NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Apricot jam - Haaalp!

(8 Posts)

Yep lemon's in there, juice of one small lemon. Does that sound about right?

MumnGran Wed 10-Jul-13 12:25:46

I add lemon smile .....but assumed this would be in the recipe OP is using?

or lemon juice.

Sorry pressed post too soon!

Apricots are very low in pectin which makes jam set so you may need to add pectin or another high pectin fruit like apple.

MumnGran Wed 10-Jul-13 11:43:54

Weight is after stoning smile
....so amount of fruit cooked is equal to amount of sugar cooked.

I would weigh them after stoning. IMO It is the sugar/juice proportions that matter. That way you have more fruit flavour per Kg sugar.

JamNan Wed 10-Jul-13 09:40:25

Lucky you to have so many fresh apricots. I looked in my recipe books and it doesn't really matter about the weight after stoning them. 1kg fruit + 1kg sugar. Enjoy the jam.

I've never made jam before. OH got given 2kg of apricots yesterday and I would like to try to make some, it's his and DS' favourite.

Got a really simple recipe googled, looks lovely. However in the recipe it says "1kg apricots, halved and stoned", what does that mean? Do I halve and stone them, then weigh them up to 1kg? Or is that 1kg of apricots which I then half and stone? confused

I ask because the recipe calls for 1kg caster sugar, so I'm guessing equal quantities of sugar and fruit, except if I stone the apricots after weighing I'll have less fruit than sugar.

Am I overthinking it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now