NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Bulk buying bread flour

(6 Posts)
RhubarbCrumbled Tue 09-Jul-13 15:39:36

I've got to the point where I'm making almost all the bread we eat and am getting through quite a lot of bread flour. Has or does anyone bulk buy bread flour? Where do you buy it from, is it worth it and what's the best way to store it?

Vibbe Tue 09-Jul-13 16:33:16

I buy 10 kg at a time. I buy it in supermarkets (we don't have many other options where I live and they tend to have offers on the good flour often), but you should be able to buy it online as well.

I have it in a cupboard in the kitchen, only with baking ingredients.

If you have space for it and you go through it before it gets too old, then it's worth it.

Isoscelesnorks Wed 10-Jul-13 10:05:47

This will sound really posh but I once bought some stone milled flour from the gift shop at the Queens Sandringham estate. It was from a nearby mill. OMG it made the best bread and pasty I have ever tasted. They deliver it in bulk if you want it. I don't remember it's name but you could try googling it or calling them to see if they still stock it and what it is called.

JamNan Fri 12-Jul-13 22:50:27

Was it letheringsettwatermill? You can order from their shop at the mill. I'm thinking of bulk buying too so thanks for the info.

We visited Alford Windmill in Lincolnshire I don't know if they do mail order but they mill fabulous organic flour that made lovely loaves. Worth a visit too if you're in that neck of the woods - it's fascinating especially when the sails go round and you are standing inside the mill.

Isoscelesnorks Sat 13-Jul-13 12:39:20

Yes I think that's them.

RhubarbCrumbled Mon 15-Jul-13 13:34:22

Thanks for the info. It doesn't look like they do delivery so still hunting down bulk flour. Someone mentioned amazon as a place to buy but it's all more expensive than the standard tesco bags.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now