NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Week meal plan for the hot weather?!

(22 Posts)

We're having burgers and salad tonight, only because I've already bought the stuff. Tomorrow onwards we shall be living on cold coke and ice cream <helpful>

Wossname Fri 12-Jul-13 14:28:29

I am hoping the weather stays nice enough for lovely meals in the garden. I have a vague plan of-

Tuna and chickpea pasta salad with dressing
Homemade pizza baguettes with salad
Chicken with mozzarella and pesto, maybe with spaghetti
Salmon, baby potatoes and salad
Fishcakes and potato wedges

sharond101 Fri 12-Jul-13 14:09:20

Crazyoldcatlady can you post your recipe please?

CrazyOldCatLady Fri 12-Jul-13 10:33:12

I don't use cream to quiche, I just throw in a slosh of low fat milk. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference. I don't add any cheese either.

If I were cooking for other people I'd probably do the cream and cheese thing, but just for us the low fat version is fine.

sharond101 Wed 10-Jul-13 16:07:21

Thanks JamNan. Didn't realise there was alot of cream in a quiche.

JamNan Wed 10-Jul-13 10:19:41

Gary Rhodes has a foolproof recipe for basic quiche mix. Enough for six/10inch 25cm flan case: 300ml double cream, 2 eggs beaten, 2 heaped tbs grated Parmesan, salt and pepper. Then you can add your choice of filling. I slow cook chopped onion without browning it. Wash spinach or chard and place in colander, boil a kettle of water and pour over it. Refresh under cold tap and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Mix with onions, and egg mixture, and cook in flan case at 200C 400F Gas 6 for 30 mins. You could add pine nuts, chopped walnuts, grated cheese such as Cheddar, Gruyère or goats cheese rounds.

For pastry use ready made puff or shortcrust and bake blind for 15 mins. It is important to let the pastry rest in the fridge after rolling it out. Try and keep it cool and don't stretch it.

If you want to make your own shortcrust pastry it is easy. It just needs a light touch - remember to handle it as little as possible.

175g unsalted butter
240g plain flour
4 tbs very cold water

Rub lightly together until it looks like crumble mixture. Add water and stir gently with a knife until it is just beginning to form a ball. Do NOT use your hands to roll it into a ball but press together lightly with fingers. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for an hour. Roll out between two sheets of cling film (this pastry is very short and the butter tends to stick to the rolling pin/surface). Place in flan tin and then put in the fridge to rest (15mins). Then bake blind for 15 mins as before.

Yesterday we had a veg curry and rice
Today for lunch I have a new potato, and egg salad, tonight will be pasta in a raw tomato sauce.
W-lunch- cheese and chive omlette
Dinner- spring onion tart, maybe with a few salads on the side.
Thursday- potato green bean and olive salad.
Friday- noodle broth.
Saturday- carbonara

sharond101 Mon 08-Jul-13 22:46:23

The quiches sound good, any chance of the recipe Crazyoldcat lady, bacon and Jamnan???

fuckwittery Mon 08-Jul-13 22:43:48

veggie lasagne and salad tonight
fish with salsa and cous cous
new potatoes, green bean salad with chicken breast
some kind of frittata or omlette with whatever veg needs using

my next meal was going to be sausages and something but I am struggling to keep it light, as it was either going to be mash or chips, perhaps I will do them in a bun with salad.

Camping at the weekend so will be BBQ-ing it!

MilkRunningOutAgain Mon 08-Jul-13 22:19:14

Bacon, chorizo and chickpeas stew
Pâté / cheese / tortilla/ baguette / salad
Pork kebabs / more salad
Chicken wrapped in bacon / spinach /
Chicken curry

And lots of ice cream and lollies! We are renting at the moment and hidden in the garden are loads of raspberry canes, and the raspberries are ready. Yum!

Vibbe Mon 08-Jul-13 18:48:49

Tonight: smoky paprika salmon with avocado, cherry tomato and red onion salsa with fresh coriander and lime.
Tomorrow: Spareribs with a red cabbage and carrot salad, maybe with some green salad as well.
Wednesday: Some kind of salad (plan is to use loads of fresh coriander with it) with flank steak.
Thursday: Mexican salad with black beans, avocado and tortilla croutons.
Friday: Baked crispy chicken, potato skins (never had that before) and salad. Maybe hummus and carrots as a starter.
Saturday and Sunday haven't been planned yet, but if the weather is okay, we'll probably BBQ.

I'm going to Jam's tonight because hers sounds lovely! smile

Not really thought about it but have just done a Sainsbo's order involving lots of salad.

Tuesday - black pepper tofu, basmati, steamed greens
Weds - probably tacos with a veggie beany filling and mango salsa plus guacamole
Thursday - probably pasta with deconstructed pesto, cherry toms and rocket
Friday - probably Spanish omelettes and salad and crunchy bread

JamNan Mon 08-Jul-13 17:34:49

sweetcorn fritter, avocado salsa and refried beans tonight
cauliflower risotto with anchovy breadcrumbs Tues
Thai pork with cashew and noodles Wed
quiche with chard or spinach Thurs
smoked mackerel with potato salad and wilted greens Fri

Steffanoid Mon 08-Jul-13 17:01:10

we've got chorizo and spinach frittata tonight,
BBQ tomorrow,
quorn and chorizo risotto Wednesday,
breaded chicken and salad wraps Thursday
and oven fish Friday

bacon Mon 08-Jul-13 16:53:54

Whether its hot or not I have to cook and the young kids arent sold on salads.

Salmon, veg & jersey spuds
I'll make a big batch of bolognaise so I'll one make a lasagne
Chopped up Sausages with pasta in homemade tom sauce
frozen chips & fish fingers
quiche (have pastry in freezer) pasta from prev night, salads

Trying not to spend more this week as I am ploughing through far too much money at mo on supermarket shop.

CrazyOldCatLady Mon 08-Jul-13 14:02:32

I just made an asparagus and roasted pepper quiche; It'll do me for a few days as DH is in hospital and the kids are fed in creche. After that it'll be whatever I can find in the larder; I'm taking the opportunity while DH isn't here to eat all the random crap that's in there that we never use.

We're having tuna salad, prawn stir fry, salmon and noodles, not sure what else. Refuse to do actual cooking when it's this hot.

I did my meal plan last Monday when it was throwing it down and freezing. My beef stew and dumplings is looking particularly appetising now that it's 26 degrees hmm

Fishcakes and salad are nice and light.

CalamityJones Mon 08-Jul-13 13:57:09

My plan this week is spaghetti with tuna, lemon and rocket. Chicken breasts stuffed with sundried tomatoes, basil and mozzarella with roasted new potatoes and salad. Lamb tagine. Turkey and sweetcorn meatballs with red pepper sauce, probably served with couscous. A chili. Moussaka! Glorious weather, isn't it?

Zoogeek Mon 08-Jul-13 13:55:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ShoeWhore Mon 08-Jul-13 13:53:34

I was just about to ask what everyone's having for dinner tonight. Way too hot to cook I reckon!

Barbecue tomorrow night as it's dc2's birthday.

No idea about tonight yet though! The cupboards are very bare.

Zoogeek Mon 08-Jul-13 13:47:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now