Quick kids meal ideas for fussy eaters - for tonight!

(33 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Tue 02-Jul-13 15:20:45

DD aged 7 eats most things. DS aged 3.5 is a fussy ol fusspot when it comes to food. He mostly likes pasta, sausages, peanut butter.

They have had hot dinner at school/pre-school today of spaghetti bolognaise, so don't need a big dinner, something light and some fruit for pudding. But, DH and I are stuck for ideas and inspiration, mainly as DS is so fussy!

Any ideas of light meals that can appeal to the fussiest of eaters? DD would be happy with toasted sandwich and some salad. DS would be happy with peanut butter on toast. but he had that for breakfast.

DaddyRacer Wed 03-Jul-13 10:36:53

My children eat Eggybread and love it and they're very fussy. It's soft and mushy but a good starter for bringing kids onto solid foods. You can put some baked beans on the side with it too. Or if you want some yourself, it goes well with bacon.

ppeatfruit Wed 03-Jul-13 14:05:00

Gently fried slices of tofu (marinaded in some lemon juice and soya sauce) with quinoa or rice has always been popular with our GD.

PavlovtheCat Wed 03-Jul-13 14:11:55

I have never thought to give him tofu! We eat it very occasionally. I will give that a try soon! Thank you for the suggestion.

ppeatfruit Wed 03-Jul-13 14:20:48

The Japanese wean their L.O.'s on it apparently! Some people think tofu has no flavour but I reckon it soaks up the flavours you cook it with like garlic and onions (of course you don't have to put the veg. on his plate). grin

PavlovtheCat Wed 03-Jul-13 14:46:49

I agree with that. Tofu soaks flavours amazingly well, so soy, ginger, garlic, spring onions are fab with it, blackbean sauce is too. Fry it in sesame oil and that also adds a lovely flavour. I can see that it would be bland eaten on it's own, but then, so is chicken.

ppeatfruit Wed 03-Jul-13 16:18:34

OOh yes you're making my mouth water now! the heat from the ginger might not please your DS though!! Talking beans you could liquidise them and make into burgers which he might like. I tend to make enough whole rice (if you cook it long enough it goes white in case you've got brown haters in your family)! and quinoa for the week and freeze so it's quick to reheat for suppers.

gastrognome Wed 03-Jul-13 20:09:49

I often do a pack of cheap instant noodles but use marigold stock powder instead of the flavour packets they come with. Then add cooked peas or soya (edamame) beans cynics I also call peas when I earshot of the children) and sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Protein, starch, vitamins all covered. If they are extra lucky I might cook a couple of fish fingers too.
Both DDs gobble this down and it takes all of five minutes to make.

Alternatively, quesadillas with a spoon of passata or tomato paste and grated cheese, to make them pizza flavoured.

Failing that, pasta. There are weeks when my kids eat it at least once a day. Hey, if it's good enough for the aitalians, who am I to argue? Just vary the shapes and it's practically a different foodstuff each time! And hide puréed carrot in the tomato sauce, or broccoli and spinach in the pesto.

gastrognome Wed 03-Jul-13 20:11:26

Who on God's earth are the aitalians? blush (perhaps they eat naice ham)
I meant Italians of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now