Cookery book club - July - Hugh F-W Veg and curries by Madhur Jaffrey and the Hairy Bikers (vroom vroom)

(343 Posts)
tigerlilygrr Mon 24-Jun-13 13:15:14

Come join the Mumsnet cookery bookclub! Each month we choose two cookery books - one popular, like Nigella / Jamie / Delia, so you probably already have it / can borrow it and one a bit more unusual. We cook a minimum of two recipes each - you choose the recipe, they just have to be ones you have never cooked before- which works out at four new recipes each month.Then we chat about them!

For June our books were:
- Mexican Food Made Easy by Thomasina Miers
- Thirty Minute Meals by Jamie Oliver
And we posted here

For July our books are:
- Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall Veg Every Day
- Madhur Jaffrey Ultimate Curry Bible AND / OR madhur Jaffrey's Curry Easy AND / OR Hairy Bikers' Great Curries

For August, our books will be:
- Fuchsia Dunlop Every Grain of Rice (chopsticks at the ready ladies)
- Dan Lepard Short and Sweet

We will always try to pick at least one book with recipes available on the Internet, and local libraries are great for cookbooks if you can order in advance. We pick books three months ahead so will be choosing September's books this month.

ScienceRocks Wed 17-Jul-13 07:36:16

I haven't made it mimolette, nor looked at the recipe, but could you use it in a stir fry? Or as a curry paste? Or in a soup? You could make it more interesting by adding ginger, garlic and chilli, perhaps.

Pantah630 Wed 17-Jul-13 12:24:58

Think I'd add it to a stir fry with ginger, garlic and chilli as science suggested, maybe a bit of fish sauce to add depth. Thanks for the tip though, wont be trying that.
Will be making another carrot and broad bean risotto, our veg box had lots in, tonight. That one is definitely a hit here. smile

HuevosRancheros Wed 17-Jul-13 17:52:54

Looking at the recipe, I would blend it until really smooth and use it as the base of a thai soup, adding more spices as needed, and fish, meat, veg, noodles, whatever you like in your soup!

Well, I've cooked naught, but have received all the river cafe books. My favourite is easily green. Then blue. and finally yellow. I also bought Rick Steins coast to coast, which, IMO is lovely. I'm excited to cook from it, and in this heat, that's high praise.

glorious Sat 20-Jul-13 19:52:59

Mmm, the Burmese chicken curry from MJ Ultimate is divine! Great depth of flavour, good tang and rich, complex spicing. Mmmmmm!

I made the summer veg frittata with goats cheese for a picnic this afternoon. it was very nice and certainly an improvement on jam sandwiches! I will make it again.

we then had the macaroni peas for tea. The dc loved this! And it took fifteen minutes start to finish! I enjoyed it, though it's a child's meal iykwim. I wouldn't make it for dh and me alone.

showtunesgirl Sat 20-Jul-13 20:14:22

Oh yes glorious, the Burmese is one of my favourites!

Try the Kenyan chicken, it's great.

glorious Sun 21-Jul-13 05:42:11

Thanks showtunes I will smile

Feathered Sun 21-Jul-13 08:07:08

Hello! I've been so rubbish this month but I'm going to try for the last week or two.
I'd like to make a dahl (is that a sp? I'm thinking of roald dahl now and I'm sure it must be wrong) Is there a consensus as to which is the best from this one?
Also any top recommendations for what to go with it? Not toooo hot. I've got the Madhur Jaffrey Curry Easy book, but I'm sure I can google x

ELR Mon 22-Jul-13 18:11:52

Is it just me or is everyone melting in the heat and not cooking anything from the books?

Elr- I would usually have made twice as many recipes by now. The heat has dampened my cooking mojo. Add to the heat the first day of summer holidays today, I haven't even got the books from the shelf for the meal plan.

snoworneahva Mon 22-Jul-13 21:36:52

Made the Beef Rendang from HB. Suggested cooking time 3 1/2hrs - actual cooking time closer to 6hrs - was very good though, made a massive amount....enough for 14-16 people!!

Might try some Southern Indian cooking next, it's feel so much more appropriate for this weather, but mostly feeling like just eating salads, jerk chicken and ribs....finished with a big bowl of ice cream.

madamecake Mon 22-Jul-13 21:56:53

Not being doing much cooking here either. If it cools down a bit tomorrow I'm going to make saffron chicken from the HB. It has a lot of cardamom in which I'm not usually keen on, so I hope it's nice!

tigerlilygrr Mon 22-Jul-13 21:59:02

I'm toooooo hooootttttt ...

to cook. Sorry everyone. I'm afraid all my energy is devoted to sourcing different flavours of Magnum at the moment. I do actually love this weather, I am a real sun worshipper. But I can't turn on the oven or the hob!

Sorry I've been rubbish too although I've fine to HB curries.

I'm attempting to cook the RC carrot and broad bean risotto this week but the thought of standing there and stirring is not motivating. grin

I don't know what I was trying to say about curries sorry! blush

Pantah630 Tue 23-Jul-13 11:23:04

It's quite a bit cooler down here today so I might make the Marsala Potatoes for tea smile

maniacbug Tue 23-Jul-13 11:28:00

Agree it's been too hot to cook much, plus I have that end-of-term feeling and a huge glut of redcurrants that I am turning into jelly, relish, cordial and curd... so with all factors combined we're having very low-effort teas these days. I did, however, make the HB Goan fish curry last Friday and it was utterly delicious! I was unsure about the vinegar, but it really added an addictive tang to it. DH was late home and I was worried there wouldn't actually be any left for him, as I ate half of the sauce while it was still cooking. Would wholeheartedly recommend + it went very well with their Aloo Gobi.
(Even though I'm not cooking much from this month's books I am still making notes of all the recommendations and tips and plan to work my way through them gradually.)

ScienceRocks Tue 23-Jul-13 14:25:05

I'm also suffering from redcurrantitis, courtesy of my MIL and am turning the huge amount of soft fruit she keeps bringing round into cordials (redcurrant and rose is a firm hit with the DDs, I prefer the blackcurrant, lime and mint, whereas DH is a fan of the gooseberry and elderflower).

Have some HB curries earmarked for this week though.

Also very excited that Dan Lepard arrived at the weekend. What a beautiful book! I have already made the vanilla cupcakes (needed to make cakes for DD2's last day at nursery <sniff>), even though it isn't August yet.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 23-Jul-13 14:28:48

I made the katsu curry from the hairy bikers book and was disappointed.

It had an overwhelming taste of curry powder and I actually put a bit less in than the recipe suggested. I've never made a curry which had curry powder in the ingredients before so maybe I'm not used to the taste but it wasn't very nice.

maniacbug Tue 23-Jul-13 14:50:44

Ooh Science, what a lovely idea; we have some big, blowsy roses in the garden at the moment so am defo going to try that combination. I have only made raspberry + redcurrant cordial so far + haven't even started on the blackcurrants yet! (I have a v. good red onion + redcurrant relish recipe if you still have a surplus + can highly recommend raspberry and redcurrant jelly smile)

maniacbug Tue 23-Jul-13 14:56:37

Science how many rose petals do you put in? I don't want to overdo it!

HuevosRancheros Tue 23-Jul-13 16:02:33

Science, do try the chocolate custard muffins, you will not be disappointed smile
Viva I have a feeling katsu curry is supposed to taste a bit artificial, bit curry powder-y.... from previous experience, anyway. Sure tiger will be along soon to put me right wink

ScienceRocks Tue 23-Jul-13 18:26:37

Maniac, I use rosewater blush. I reckon you'd need a lot of rose petals to have the same effect.

But in a similar vein, has anyone on here cooked with lavender? I'm now thinking that blackcurrant and lavender could be a good combination, especially as I have a garden full of the stuff!

madamecake Tue 23-Jul-13 20:12:06

Science, I've not cooked with lavender, but have eaten both rice pudding and chocolate truffles with lavender in. The chocolate definitely worked better than the rice pudding, maybe because the richer taste of the chocolate stopped the lavender from overpowering. I really like the sound of it with blackcurrant.

I made the HB saffron chicken curry and thought it was delicious, dh didn't agree and couldn't finish his. He said it tasted of burnt plastic, would that be the saffron?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now