No good at cooking but what can I make with these items?

(13 Posts)
JemimaPuddle Thu 20-Jun-13 13:35:26

I normally meal plan & can make a few basic recipes, chilli for example.
My DP did the shopping this week & no meals planned out. I have:
Bacon
Mushrooms
Peppers
A small amount of cooked chicken left over from yesterday
Celery
Carrots
Double cream
White potatoes
Jacket potatoes

Any ideas please?

flatpackhamster Thu 20-Jun-13 14:02:25

What's your store cupboard look like in the way of spices and herbs? How much cooked chicken have you got? Any onions? Tins of tomatoes?

TheFallenNinja Thu 20-Jun-13 14:08:27

Got any eggs? You've got a western omelet right there.

JemimaPuddle Thu 20-Jun-13 14:12:13

Yep have an onion and tin of tomatoes. Some spices - cumin, chilli powder, paprika, rosemary & oregano. Some fresh garlic too.

Yes, I've got a dozen eggs. How do I mak a western omelette?

Creamy chicken and mushroom sauce with baked pots (a tbs of mustard in the sauce is great). Carrot salad on the side or just carrots.

Bacon, peppers, onion, toms etc potato bake.

21mealspluscake Thu 20-Jun-13 14:18:08

Bake the jacket potatoes. Fry chopped bacon till it starts to soften, add thinly sliced mushrooms stir and cover. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes or so, till the mushrooms have given up a lot of their liquid. Take off the lid, turn up the heat and stir for a couple of m inutes till the bacon and mushrooms turn golden. Add the chicken and stir through just to warm it up then stir in a couple of spoonfuls of cream. Derve with hot jacket potatoes.

Fry an onion in butter till it is translucent then add diced white potato and thinly sliced celery. Stir till it's all coated in butter then add water. Simmer till all the veg is soft then puree. Add cream, warm through and serve the soup with some nice bread.

Peppers, carrot and celery would make a nice salad if chopped into similar size pieces then dressed with olive oil and lemon.

flatpackhamster Thu 20-Jun-13 14:22:11

Depends how many you're cooking for, I think.

Well you could knock up a brisk chicken Jalfrezi with the chicken, half the onion, couple of cloves of garlic and the peppers. Dice the onion and peppers, fry onions in oil for a couple of minutes, add peppers and fry for a couple of minutes, add spices, squeeze of tomato puree, leftover chicken. Boiled rice with it.

Pasta, the tin of toms, a carrot, the other half of the onion and some garlic the and mushrooms for a sauce. Dice and fry the onion for a couple of minutes, dice and add the carrot, add the tin of tomatoes to the mix, rinse the tomato tin out with water and add half a tin worth of water to the mix, add a little rosemary and some oregano and tomato puree if you have it, leave to simmer on a very low heat for 30 minutes or so to allow the flavours to come together, boil up your water for pasta. Then once the pasta is cooking and the sauce has started to thicken add the mushrooms and turn the heat up.

You could make dauphinoise potatoes - thinly slice new potatoes and thinly slice a couple of cloves of garlic, chop up and fry a couple of rashers of bacon, get a ceramic baking dish, grease it with butter, put a layer of potatoes in, then bacon, then next layer of potatoes, then some bits of butter then double cream, bake for about 30-40 minutes at 160-180.

This would be much easier if you had more onions. :0

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 20-Jun-13 14:22:19

First 6 ingredients (and onions too if you like) chopped small and fried. Stir into lots of beaten eggs and cream. Cook as omelette. Not sure if that's western but it's something I would do ...

TheFallenNinja Thu 20-Jun-13 15:08:09

What uptoapoint said apart from the celery.

The best way to prepare celery is with a clean chopping board and a sharp knife.

Chop each stem into inch chunks, open the kitchen window and throw them out.

This works for sprouts, avocado, gooseberry and rhubarb.

Essentially it is a leftover omelet. I call it western to make it sound fancy smile

JemimaPuddle Thu 20-Jun-13 16:17:38

Thanks everyone smile
I've gone for baked potatoes with chicken & mushroom sauce.

ninja it was the omelette I was unsure about rather the western. I really am that bad!

TheFallenNinja Thu 20-Jun-13 20:04:49

Then it looks like you've just invented the Jemima omelet.

smile

Mumzy Thu 20-Jun-13 20:14:00

Special fried rice: cook some rice tonight and let it go cold store in fridge until ready to start cooking. Chop onion, peppers, mushrooms, bacon
Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large pan or wok. Beat a couple of eggs and make an omelette in a pan break this up a d add onions fry, add bacon fry, add rest of veg and fry. Add cold rice and fry with th other ingredients unti thoroughly hot. Season with soy sauce, salt & pepper.

Mumzy Thu 20-Jun-13 20:14:49

Oh also add chicken

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now