What do you want to cook, but probably won't because of health/faff reasons?

(13 Posts)
Trills Sat 15-Jun-13 22:05:19

I really want to try these croquetas but they are both faff and deep fried.

Doughnuts for exactly the same reasons.

Trills Sat 15-Jun-13 22:30:56

I have made scotch eggs.

They are looooovely.

I even made some little ones with quail's eggs.

I think that will e a once-a-year thing though.

I saw a nice recipe for scotch eggs somewhere recently, had black pudding in the sausage mix. I remember making them at school in Home Economics but never tried them since.

Triumphoveradversity Sat 15-Jun-13 22:42:25

Tempura, I absolutely love it but requires special flour, iced water and a deep fat fryer as I am too accident prone to fry deep fat in a saucepan.

BriansBrain Sat 15-Jun-13 22:42:31

Mini spring rolls.

So lovely but such a pita to make and again deep fried.

Trills Sat 15-Jun-13 22:43:05

So basically anything deep friend then? grin

Trills Sat 15-Jun-13 22:43:31

DO you know what is rally hardly any faff? Popcorn. And if you have a glass lid for your saucepan it's lots of fun to watch.

I do popcorn in a pyrex bowl in the microwave, yes to standing and watching it!

I don't have a deep fat fryer, even my biggest saucepan isn't all that big for deep frying in and it always seems wasteful to use so much oil. Plus it's smelly and hazardous with young children around.

Trills Sat 15-Jun-13 23:02:25

If you want to deep fry as an experimental cooking thing you need your smallest sauccepan (ideally small but deep)

Tommy Sat 15-Jun-13 23:05:15

another doughnut fan here..... every so often I think I should get a deep fat fryer and then remember that if I did, I could (and would probably) make doughnuts at least 3 times a week..... grin

It would take a long time to make a batch of croquetta or doughnuts then though. Thinking about it I think I have used my smallest pan on the rare occasions I have deep fried things (it has been several years now though). I haven't got anything very suitable for lifting stuff out with either.

WilsonFrickett Sun 16-Jun-13 19:13:02

I never deep fry, I am absolutely petrified of doing it for both calorie and safety issues - in my head, I'll put on a stone overnight and/or burn the house down...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now