NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Which yoghurts are nice and healthy for a child?

(12 Posts)
JamNan Thu 13-Jun-13 19:08:12

Lakeland sell an electric yoghurt maker for about £14; you could make your own and limit the amount of sugar and use fruit instead. I haven't tried it myself but was thinking about getting one to add to the gadget mountain in my kitchen grin.

We like Rachel's and Total which are plain and unsweetened and add fruit, honey etc.

Prawntoast Thu 13-Jun-13 18:15:27

Rachel's or Yeo Valley are good, the sugar is just sugar so no artificial crap. Most low fat yoghurt is full of sweetners. I'd also go for plain yoghurt and add fruit or honey.

twosmallbuttons Thu 13-Jun-13 18:13:35

Rachel's Taste Explorers. No sugar, just sweetened with fruit juice. Really quite tasty smile

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 13-Jun-13 18:11:42

I buy plain or greek yogurt, mix with some mashed bananas, top with fruits, granola, nuts and seeds. Kids like it so much they've learned to make it themselves. smile

Noseynoonoo Thu 13-Jun-13 16:39:35

Thanks for the ideas :-)

Or try these. I saw them in my local supermarket. Not cheap but pretty unadulterated & actually quite yummy.

Ruffello Thu 13-Jun-13 13:43:21

..or try making your own. www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/25/nigel-slater-yogurt-recipes. It's very easy and you can add whatever you like.

moondog Thu 13-Jun-13 13:38:39

They're al either full of sugar or low fat and thus full of starchy fillers.
Plain is best but good and cheap flavoured are Morrisons French set yoghurts which are excellent and have nice flavours.

gingerpinz Thu 13-Jun-13 13:36:28

Wss ^

Adding (defrosted) frozen berries is good too.

Natural greek yogurt and bung some fruit in it?

LizTerrine Thu 13-Jun-13 13:34:21

They're all awful. Your best bet would be adding honey or compote to plain Greek yogurt.

Noseynoonoo Thu 13-Jun-13 13:31:56

The children (6 and 4) have gone yoghurt crazy of late, even wanting it for breakfast. I worry that what is on offer us full of sugar. Which ones should I buy if I want it to be a healthy choice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now